Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A play in a week?

Posted 03-18-2018 21:45
    My students and I have run a successful summer camp for kids grades 3-8 for the past few years. We meet 9-2, Monday to Thursday, for two weeks. We present a full-length play on the final day with all 30-40 campers taking part.

This year I have several veteran campers who can only commit to one week of drama camp due to other camps (Scout, 4-H, church, etc) so I'm considering extending the length of the camp day and doing a different play each week.

What suggestions can you offer for shows we can put together in a week? Previous shows have included Wizard of Oz, Treasure Island, and Stinky Cheese Man. No live orchestra (only CD accompaniment) and simple choreography.

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!

• 2.  RE: A play in a week?

Posted 03-18-2018 23:37
    ​We are enjoying a new show by Playscripts, The Enchanted Book Shop.  22 characters and runs 30 minutes.  Another that can rehearsed in small ensembles is Once Upon A Wolf but the wolf is important and has a lot of lines as does the Narraator but the latter can be read from a "storybook."  This is also 30 minutes long. Both are straight plays.

------------------------------
    Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: A play in a week?

Posted 03-19-2018 09:59

Look into Beat by Beat.  They have a great catalogue for musical shows geared for young kids to perform.  They come with music and digital sources for script and music.  They are reasonable rates as well. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org