Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Small cast ensemble comedy needed

Posted 09-04-2018 08:16
    Welcome back to another school year.

We are gearing up for auditions for a Commedia-style production of "The Servant of Two Masters." But there is a possibility that we might not get the requisite number of kids out for the audition. In that case, I would like to be prepared to quickly substitute a different play. In the best of all possible world, it would address the same skill-set of "Servant"- very physicalized/stylized characters and movement, possibly masks, fast-paced comedy. It should be an established script, since we did devised work last Fall. The plays that we've done have been college-level material, and I'd like this to be the same. "Servant" has a cast of 9, so it would need to be something smaller than that, and possibly very flexible. Our community is a little more conservative in recent years, so nothing too scandalous. Thank you for any recommendations.

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 2.  RE: Small cast ensemble comedy needed

Posted 09-05-2018 06:25
    I realize you have probably ditched Servant. I did a version adapted by Jenna Ware because I wanted to do Servant but the texts I found were far too ribald for middle schoolers. Jenna has a great version which I saw at Shakespeare & Company a few years ago. She also has adaptations of other, rarely done classics. Her contact info is jennaware97@aol.com.

Annemarie Bean
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT
    abean@longtrailschool.org

• 3.  RE: Small cast ensemble comedy needed

Posted 09-07-2018 14:25
    Maybe a play by Marivaux? Similarly commedia-inspired and they can be very funny. "The Game of Love and Chance" is probably the best known.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ