Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Interesting Experience" with Concord Theatricals

Posted 10-24-2020 07:59

Hello All!

I continue to be so grateful for this impressive group of people who love theater and make a positive impact on the students who love theater alongside us too.

Just a note of something very "interesting. I am very much just letting this go.  Back at the end of Summer, I was very interested, from the advice of another director here, to pursue a version of THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW (Heimbuch/Ferguson) for production outdoors in Michigan.  When applying for live rights and potential streaming rights (not knowing WHAT to expect in terms of WHAT I would be able to do), I received a standard message saying that with the current conditions it may take some time for approval to perform.
         I was fine with this. I fully understood the chaos of our times.  I received occassional emails saying that my contract was always still "pending".  
        After TOO much time had passed, I moved onto a different production with a different publishing company.  
        Here's the interesting thing, WELL AFTER my intended weekend of performing the Concord script of Sleepy Holllow, ALL IN THE SAME DAY, I received the following emails:
         1) An email granting me the rights AFTER MY POSTED and INTENDED PERFORMANCE DATES to perform the show.
         2) Two emails with an invoice for performing the show.
         3) A final email at midnight TERMINATING my rights because my invoice, for the show that I NEVER was allowed to perform for my requested dates.  

These emails were all within the same day, and these were well after any possiblity of mounting this production. 

I, 100%, understand the turmoil that all theater entities are going through, but in comparison to other publishing companies that almost always respond within 24-48 hours, Concord needs to consider its process.  Just as my theater world changes for the better or worse with each day, I know publishing companises are facing those same constant back and forth shifts. Still, working with limited budgets and having to make decisions for administrators and students and students' families, we need decisions made for rights and royalties to come in a more timely manner.

I hope everyone else is doing well.  I intend to contact Concord directly, but honestly, despite their great catalog, I'm hesitant to work with them for a while. 

------------------------------
    James McCulloch
    Drama Director of Mariner Drama
    Marine City, Michigan
    jmcculloch@ecsd.us

• 2.  RE: "Interesting Experience" with Concord Theatricals

Posted 10-25-2020 09:03
    Good Afternoon, 

We also had some "interesting" issues as well. I sent back our materials the Monday after our show closed and that was March 6th I believe. We still have not received our $400 deposit back. I have communicated via email and on the phone. I was told it was received and after a few months I checked back and they then said they couldn't find my return (they processed the tracking number and already confirmed receipt), then after proving that I sent it back again... they had me fill out a Google form stating that this is Now a part of the refund process, which I did... I've talked to them several times since and had several hoops to jump through as well as was told they were sending the refund out "this week".... now I'm back to the automated emails of deposit refunds being delayed.... I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've been in contact with two different people. So... I agree there needs to be better communication and reliability...

Samantha Roop
    Theatre Teacher/ Play & Musical Director/ Head Coach

• 3.  RE: "Interesting Experience" with Concord Theatricals

Posted 10-26-2020 09:20
    this is so sad...  for both..
    Samantha, I would contact your districts legal department if they have one and see if they can help..
    Submit all that you have done.
    Sometimes an "official" letter/contact might help.
    Good luck!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: "Interesting Experience" with Concord Theatricals

Posted 10-26-2020 10:53

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working with Concord Theatricals. We never like to hear that our customers are frustrated, and appreciate your honest feedback. We are looking into these specific situations and will be reaching out to both James and Samantha shortly. 

COVID-19 has generated new challenges in the licensing process, which our team has been tackling as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Many members of our team are working artists, so we understand the nuances of budgeting and producing timelines. While we're doing everything we can to make licensing effortless for our educational theatre customers, we always strive to do better. Our relationships with our customers are our top priority and we are working to further streamline and strengthen communication.

We look forward to working with you in the future!

Rosemary Bucher
    Educational Theatre Licensing Coordinator
    Concord Theatricals
    New York, NY
    ----------------------