Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-17-2019 09:45
    I have a student whose head is spinning from trying to select a ten minute play to direct. I am looking for things to suggest, and there is just SO much out there.

She prefers comedy and two to three characters, and of course the possibilities are limitless. All my favorites from my own library are now overdone in our program, so I'm asking for any personal favorites from the community. I'm also going to show her "Too Much Light..." to see if she can find pieces she likes in there.

Any recommendations? We're in a conservative community, so thanks for keeping that in mind.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-17-2019 11:03
    It's been a few years since we did this piece but if I recall correctly The Role of Della is a 10-15 minute comedy with only a few characters. Playscripts has it. I haven't read it in more than 5 years but I don't recall anything to be concerned about in it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-17-2019 11:57
    There is a great collection from Playscripts called A Simpler Time. There are a bunch of 10 minute plays, all written by different authors, connected by short in-between scenes. All of the plays can stand on their own however, and I believe you can licence 1, 2, 3 or any number of them at once. It's worth a look.

https://www.playscripts.com/play/3243

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-18-2019 11:01
    Heuer has all of their 10-minute plays available for reading at www.hitplays.com.  Before we went to all student-written plays, my students were able to find some good pieces there, and their production packages are certainly economical--scripts and royalties for a year for one price. 

She'll have to plow through many shows to find one she likes, but she'll be able to refine her criteria for what makes a good show in the process, and that is not a bad thing.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-18-2019 12:27
    One of our students recently found a play in our "Best 10 Minute Plays of 2010" book called "The Rental" by Mark Harvey Levine.  I don't think it has bad content or language.  It's about a woman who doesn't know that her friend got her a rent-a-boyfriend for her birthday and he shows up at her apartment to make her dinner and be her valentine and she freaks out at first but then has realizations.  There are some plays in that book that do have language and content issues for conservative communities but that was doesn't.  You might want to read it first and then get her a script if you approve.

Joel King
    Woodstock GA

• 6.  RE: Ten Minute Comedies

Posted 09-18-2019 15:31
    I would suggest looking at newplayexchange. I made an account for my drama club and it has a big list. 

As for a playwright, I would suggest Mark Harvey Levine.

Jaclyn Marta
    Moline IL