Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Small pits

Posted 05-04-2019 10:05
    Hello theatre colleagues!
    As I begin to search for our next season, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for musicals with smaller pits. Our fall is a smaller musical and spring more of a larger musical. Has anyone had any luck with the following?

Rock of Ages
    Spelling Bee
    Urinetown
    Rent School Edition

Or do you have any recommendations for other small pit, ensemble musicals? By small pit, I am looking for less than 10 musicians.

Thank you for your assistance.

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-05-2019 21:36
    When I was the musical director for a production of West Side Story, I called MTI and asked about orchestra parts.  They had already sent us the full orchestra set.  I found out that they had orchestration for 9 pieces, which included piano, 2 trumpets, clarinet, a violin, 2 percussionist parts, essential for this show; I can't remember the other instruments.  The arrangements were fantastic and not a motif was missed.  So, I suggest for you to call the publisher and ask for reduced orchestra parts.

Corinne Walker
    Private voice teacher
    Musical theater director
    Mesa, Arizona
    corinnewalk4.wixsite.com/mesa

• 3.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-06-2019 09:41
    Little Shop of Horrors has the option of a 4 piece band.

Karen Hadidi
    St. Petersburg FL

• 4.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-06-2019 07:39
    URINETOWN remains one of my favorite shows that I've directed. We did it with just keyboard and drums (maybe a bass, it's been too long for me to remember).  Totally worked. Also, that show is so hilarious, it spoofs so many different musical styles, and there are so many opportunities for your ensemble!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-07-2019 09:26
    I second the enthusiasm of Cassy for URINETOWN. The musical has a funny and strong message about ignoring the needs of our planet. Our pit band comprised piano (a well-seasoned pianist<pwa data-pwa-id="pwa-B9A6A2C4530EB26B82AB533F8E4D870F" data-pwa-rule-id="EM_DASH_DOUBLE" data-pwa-category="grammar" data-pwa-hint="Do you want to use an em-dash here?" data-pwa-suggestions="-" data-pwa-dictionary-word="--" class="pwa-mark pwa-mark-done">--</pwa>the piano score is challenging); bass; violin; and flute. We used what we had.

Anna

Annemarie Bean
    Director of Drama
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT

• 6.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-07-2019 12:55
    We just produced Rent School Edition with 5 in the Band (2 keyboards, drums, bass, and guitar). It worked really well. Years ago we produced Anything Goes with a small band - they were the "House Band" on the ship. Urinetown is also a wonderful choice.

• 7.  RE: Small pits

Posted 05-07-2019 10:04
    Title of Show!!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE