Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Multi-Level Theatre Class

Posted 08-25-2019 18:32
    Help! I have been teaching theatre for over 10 years and my classes keep getting more and more popular (yes that is a good thing!) yet my schools schedule wasn't able to accomodate having two levels of classes (intro and advanced) like I requested - so this year I have two sections of around 30 kids each.  About 1/2 of each class is experienced, the rest beginners.  I've ordered two new supplemental texts for the advanced kids (Meiser for Teens workbook and How to be the Greatest Improviser on Earth) . My intro kids will be using "Basic Drama Projects".  

So - I'm looking for advice from those who have taught two levels (in the past, my second year kids would just do all the same activities but skip the text book activities) in the same class.  

Any ideas/tips/suggestions/definite do or not do?

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Multi-Level Theatre Class

Posted 08-26-2019 14:48
    I have 4 levels in one class and I love it. We develop ensemble skills and the first year students learn from the older more experienced.
    It isn’t easy but my expectations are the same for all 4 levels. And my 4th year students take on directing roles. When I split the class into groups I make sure there is an experienced student with a mixed group. It works. Whatever lesson I am doing, I incorporate all the students. My seniors act as mentors and leaders.