Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Twelve Angry Jurors

Posted 10-08-2018 14:19
    I need a table that will work for this show. I tried a regular rectangular table, but I don't like that the audience is below the stage and they can't see the people in the back.
    Then I tried a very narrow mtg table with two trapezoidal tables on each end so it looked like a "U", but it looks more like this \___________/, and almost covers the stage!
    Any suggestions? I have a tiny stage and I do like the idea of it feeling crowded and claustrophobic, but there is very little room for my actors to move around..... (I do most shows on the floor and the stage is usually the entry hall, or some other room).
    Waaaa! 8-X I'm perplexed. Any ideas are welcomed!
    Kim

sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
    This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and telephone immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 2.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors

Posted 10-09-2018 10:07
      |   view attached
    Different Strokes Performing Arts Collective is currently performing Twelve Angry Jurors in our school theatre in exchange for very low-priced student tickets and 2 free in-school shows for 10th graders.  I am attaching a picture of the table configuration. 

There was a misunderstanding with the man who built the table, and he built it in a very narrow V.  The overlapping pieces were a quick fix to allow more room in the center.  It works super well.  The acting out of potential murder scenarios takes place in the middle.

------------------------------
    C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 3.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors

Posted 10-10-2018 20:19
    When I did this show last year, we used a long rectangular table. Granted, we did the show in a wonky black box theater w/ a thrust arrangement, but the key is all in the blocking. Having characters turn and cheat out when they're talking to one another helps, and they should be spending as little time sitting as possible anyway. 

One solution might be to angle the table? I've seen productions do this to great effect. And again, the key is to have the actors up and about as often as possible.

Kerry Jeffrey
    Vancouver WA

• 4.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors

Posted 10-15-2018 15:37
    I agree with Kerry. I have done this show twice, and each time I angled the table and the set itself. Acting out the stabbing and the old man walking, and son, were all done on the apron. Remind each actor to cheat, sit sideways, turn the chair around, etc.

And each actor should be up at least half the time.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI