Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fwd: Pit budget

Posted 01-28-2019 12:54

As a relatively new Theatre Director at a High School, I am wondering what is an average for pit budgets. We have a mix of students, adults and adults who work in district making up our orchestra from year to year, and this year I have been presented a budget of $4000 for 6 adults, 1 recent HS grad and a keyboard programmer for 10 services: 6 rehearsals and 4 shows. This seems incredibly high for a HS production and is in fact more than the rights for this year's show, Mamma Mia!

Could anyone share some perspective on this? Are we having too many rehearsals with the orchestra? Is $50-75 per service an average fee for an adult? Do you pay musicians who work elsewhere in the school district, and if so, how much?
    Thank you for any shared information!

Jennifer

Jennifer Stover

• 2.  RE: Fwd: Pit budget

Posted 01-29-2019 05:34
    Hi,  We don't have any student musicians to choose from so I hire pros.  We have 2 rehearsals and 3 shows.  I've found this to be sufficient but again I'm not working with students.  We pay $80/visit.  So far I've been able to get really great players.  I hope this helps.

------------------------------
    Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA
    ------------------------------