Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aladdin

Posted 08-07-2019 16:20
    My high school desperately wants to do Aladdin. We did Grease last year with quite a bit of success considering we haven't done a musical in 9 years. How much work is Aladdin and what is the degree of skill for the singing and dancing? I will probably have some girls playing males in places. Thank you!

--
    Jana Petersdorf
    English/Drama
    Tulare Western High School

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (18 USCA § 2510). This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA § 2511 and any applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone and delete any and all electronic and hard copies of this communication, including attachments, without reading them or saving them to disk.

• 2.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-08-2019 09:49
    It really depends on your resources and how far you want to go. Some think it's a cop-out if the carpet doesn't actually fly (ours didn't).

There is some mild stage combat, which can be stylized. Lots of creative ways to handle the magic of the Genie's appearances and magic tricks - lighting changes and fog machines are great. We had a female Iago and a female Kassim.

Summary: You should totally do it, because it's a lot of fun and will sell a lot of tickets!

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-09-2019 22:36
    I did Aladdin. Great fun! we did the carpet in a bunraku style. Jasmine and Aladdin were in the middle of the carpet. The carpet then rose to their wastes and fake legs were attached. The center of the carpet was open and Jasmine and Aladdin stood up in the whole the bottom of the carpet was a black fabric that went all around the carpet. A dowel was in both ends of the carpet and Jasmine controlled the front of the carpet with fishing line and Aladdin did the same with a dowel and fishing line. Against a black curtain and with low lying fog for the clouds the really flew in the sky. We used a second carpet with actors all in black head to toe and operated the carpet when it flew by itself. It's a little work, but well worth the final results.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled!

• 4.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-10-2019 08:01
    I've directed the Jr version twice now, the old version at our school and the new version last year at our community theater. It's a great show, we've had great attendance numbers with both shows.  
    I would be happy to answer any questions you might have, feel free to email me. ldparks@k12.wv.us or blennytheater@gmail.com

Douglas Parks
    Mineral Wells WV

• 5.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-09-2019 07:00
    This is a great show with fabulous music.  We used a female for Jafar and the princes. It worked out well.  We cast the carpet as a great dancer (tumbler) so to could dance around the stage instead of flying.  There are some really great ensemble numbers as well.

Amanda Dierking
    Drama Director
    Lake County Schools
    Minneola FL

• 6.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-13-2019 10:49
    Where are you guys finding the rights and script for this version of Aladdin you are describing? All the scripts I've read are based off the original myth and don't have the memorable characters like Jafar or Jasmine....

Stephanie Clussman
    Lakeville IN

• 7.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-13-2019 12:07
    MTI has the Disney version. They have a Junior script, a Kids one, and a dual-language version.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 8.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 08-13-2019 17:03

MTI.  Aladdin Jr

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive