Open Forum

View Only

Commitment to rehearsals

• 1.  Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-28-2018 10:46
    I am pulling my hair out. Today is the first day of tech for our Spring Musical and we have literally not had a single rehearsal where every member of our cast has been there for the entire rehearsal. I require a conflict calendar before we start rehearsals, and I honor ALL of those conflicts, no matter what they are or how many they are. Anything added after the calendar is finalized (by both student and parent) is unexcused, except excused illnesses from school. I have made a couple of exceptions for emergency appointments verified via doctor's notes, but even those are increasing now, as parents are starting to stretch the definition of "emergency."

Even though our shows are all rehearsed after the school day, they are considered 7th period class, so students earn letter grades and credits on their transcript, towards the 20 credits required in visual and performing arts in our district. I deduct points every time they are late or unexcused, but it's very clear that they just don't care about that. 

Parents and students are both required to attend meetings before auditions where I explain the importance of attending rehearsals, committing to the production, and not letting down their show. Parents and students are each required to sign contracts which say that they understand the attendance policy. And yet, for the past few weeks, I've had parents telling me that they are pulling kids for tutoring, which is much more important to their future than "a play that will be over soon."

This week, I had students miss the last hour of rehearsals to go to see local plays because mom bought the tickets without thinking about rehearsal end times, because she "didn't put them on [her] personal calendar." I had another student TELL me that she was leaving rehearsal an hour early to go see "Infinity Wars" because her dad bought tickets "months ago" without checking with her. I told all three of these students that they would be unexcused, but because they already had A+ grades, they said, "Oh, that's fine." No consideration at all for the rest of the cast and crew. 

Because we are a week from opening, we don't have understudies, and 2 of these 3 were in leading roles and 1 was in a featured, I cannot drop them from the show without hurting the entire production. I'm afraid that I just have to deal with it this time.

What kind of changes do you suggest I make to next year's contract to prevent these issues?

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 2.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-28-2018 15:15
    ​Wow Jodi,

That is a tough one. While not during a tech scenario we have kids that show up and don't show up for no reason sometimes. The parents allow this to happen and do not hold their kids accountable. What does this teach them. Tickets to a movie, really. I bet that parent wouldn't not show up to work.

Last year we changed it up and said that your performance in the fall show will affect the ability to audition for upcoming productions and/or affect casting.

Some kids tested us and they were not cast in major roles in our spring musical and productions.

The key is enforcement. One exception becomes the new rule and we made it very clear the consequences and  enforced them. Best thing is that when they went to administration to complain, administration had the code of conduct and contract and backed us 100%.

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 08:55
    Hi!
    I totally understand and feel your frustration! At the beginning of the show I have a meeting with the students and parents and have them sign a contract as well... I ask for all their conflicts and I tell them if they list a conflict I will work around it... except for Tech week! Everyone must work around that week- and if they can’t commit to tech week- they can’t be in the show. I have had to let cast members go leading right up to the show.... it is not easy, but luckily I usually have another cast member eager and able to fill in. It is an extremely stressful and frustrating situation.... last year I lost three cast members one week before the show because they all had a volleyball tournament they had to go to... it has gotten better- this year I only had to drop on kid because she missed a tech rehearsal.... I think as the students and parents learn that I will not accept any excuses- that it will get better for the future productions (I have also started double casting-which is a little more work- but makes a nice safety net- just in case I need to drop a lead from the show)
    Amy Rainis
    St. Joseph’s Catholic School
    Stuart, FL
    Troupe #39477

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-30-2018 11:24
    I agree with Chris... I have a strict no missing final two weeks of rehearsal, unless it was approved prior to auditions.. if they break it, I pull them from the show. I don't care who they are..and it affects future casting..I am starting a contract for tech next year too, because this became a problem with them this year... it is consistency I think.. they know I mean business..and I don't favor one actor over another, in fact our Winston in 1984 had too many " sick" absences..so I got an alumni to understudy him with principal approval and the student lost a full performance because of it. I find when I let one go...they all try to push it ..I've set a precedent after all. I also honor all agreed conflicts... I'm sorry you're having this trouble..I hope it gets better...

Wendi Johnson
    Teacher, Kaiser High School
    Director of Theatre
    March is THEATRE IN OUR SCHOOLS MONTH
    #theatreinourschools #theatrematters

DISCLAIMER:
    Any views or opinions presented in this communication are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Fontana Unified School District.

• 5.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 08:33
    I just dealt with this. And while it is a tough decision to have to make, I cut a kid from the show on opening night for not meeting the agreed upon commitments. I had another student go on, script in hand. These are school productions, and while we work our butts off to have amazing shows, the process must be more important that the product. The learning must take priority over all else.

Did our show suffer, a bit. It is weird to see an actor with a script. But everyone learns something about commitment and the importance of actually working together. In real life actions have consequences and we are obligated to help these kids learn that. Sometimes you actions hurt others... now how do you make amends and keep going? My entire class learned from this.

On top of that, it sets a precedent that you as a teacher, stand by your contracts. Kids will see that and respect you for it.

Just my two cents.

Jeremy Riggs
    Troupe Director 4151

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Riggs
    Director of Theatre
    Blue Valley North
    bvntheatre.org

• 6.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 09:43
    I feel for you as I read your post. I certainly hope your show pulls together well. You have been so careful to consider everyone's conflicts. Now it seems they abuse that care. I would like to pass on the good advice I was given many years ago concerning students missing rehearsals.

First, theatre at my school is extra-curricular and in the evening.  When I first started, there were times when students did not come to rehearsal because of a major project or paper for school, (or they had to study for a big test). The other issue that still arises is the student misbehaves and is grounded, so the parents won't allow them to attend rehearsal. Missing rehearsal because a parent bought tickets for something WAY in advance still occurs.
    Just like you, I implemented mandatory parent meetings (explaining the program) as well as contracts that are signed by both student and parent. The contract clearly states that parents must find alternative disciplinary actions during rehearsal, as keeping their student from rehearsals is not acceptable since it hurts the entire group. 

The contract also clearly states that everyone is entitled to 1 unexcused absence. More than that, the student may lose their part. That is the wise advice I received years ago.  I have also added to the contract: if their lines are not learned by the due date, or they do not complete a written character sketch by a due date, they may also lose their part. Those are the rules! 

Here is the difficult part: I follow through on this. 
    Students HAVE lost their part. This is not easy to do, but you have to look at the consequences if you do not follow through (which is the situation you are in right now). Sacrifice one for the good of many. It works! When students realize they really will be replaced, or removed completely from the play, those absences and excuses disappear. Clearly the decision is up to them: (If they have already had one unexcused absence) they can either attend the concert and be out of the play, or miss the concert and stay in the play.

First, I always have a back up plan. If I can see there is going to be an issue with a student, I plan a replacement ahead of time.  If I have to warn an actor that they do not have their lines learned well enough, I have already spoken to another actor to start learning those lines since they may be stepping in. Students quickly learn that losing their role is not an idle threat, there is a replacement waiting in the wings. The hard part as a teacher is learning to follow through.

The good news: You don't have to do it very many times, believe me. If there are not enough actors: I will switch the offender (who may have the lead) with another actor in a minor role. Believe me the message is delivered, loud and clear, and the show may be saved. More importantly the program does not suffer from future abuses. The student I had to do this to was a talented actor, a sophomore who got the lead in Cheaper by the Dozen, but did not bother to use any of the techniques suggested to learn lines. He lost the part (and became the boyfriend in the show) when he never learned the lines. After that play, he became a model actor, and I never had any trouble with him learning lines again. For musicals, I highly recommend understudies. They are very handy when a student gets sick and does not attend school (if they miss school they are not allowed to attend rehearsal). The understudy steps into the part so the rehearsal is not wasted. They learn a great deal as well, as they are required to attend blocking, singing and dancing rehearsals for the lead roles.

By the way, production week is not off limits to the rules. No one is so important they cannot be replaced, even then. I only had to remove the lead actor that week once, luckily there was an understudy who was able to step in. It was not easy, but necessary. That was years ago, and students still talk about it, word continues to spread. That may be the key, if students realize that you mean business, and will follow through on students abusing the rules (even leads during hell week), you will have less and less issues. 

I have never had to do this, but I make it clear: even if there was no understudy, I would rather go on stage with a script than have a student willfully ignore the rules and harm the program.

I hope that next year you are able to make changes to save the integrity of your program, as well as the strength to "follow through" on those changes. Good luck,

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 10:42
    I always use understudies. I've directed 100 shows over a period of close to 30 years. I try to be flexible with my kids when they must miss rehearsals. Sometimes I change the times to accommodate. When a student isn't focused on show, or misses numerous rehearsals without contacting me or my stage manager, I drop them from cast.... eye opener for others. Seems to fix most problems.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 8.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 17:26
    At your parent/student meeting for the next production, I would discuss this particular issue and reinforce the idea of commitment to the group. Everyone depends on everyone else to be there, and this is a life lesson about commitment to the collaborative process. If they can see the bigger picture, it may change some attitudes. I would also add that it is difficult to cast students who cannot be trusted to keep this commitment, especially one to two weeks prior to opening night. As for the seniors, they are the leaders setting an example for the younger students. If they think they have nothing to lose, they can always lose my respect.

• 9.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-29-2018 21:03
    We have a very firm policy - you are allowed 3 unexcused rehearsals and on your fourth unexcused rehearsal, you are out of the show.  Tech Saturday and all rehearsals/performance during production week are mandatory.  If you miss any of these, you are replaced. I have been directing with these rules for 32 years and have only had to remove one or two students.  When the kids know you are serious - they are serious about their attendance.  I also tell my students that your audition for the next show started at the audition for the current show.

--
    Rob Gentry
    Director of Theatre
    Perrysburg High School
    13385 Roachton Road
    Perrysburg, OH 43551
    419.874.3181 ext 5105
    Confidentiality NoticeThis message may contain student personally identifiable information that is confidential. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email message in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at 419-874-9131. Please also delete the message from your computer. Thank you.

Confidentiality NoticeThis message may contain student personally identifiable information that is confidential. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email message in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at 419-874-9131. Please also delete the message from your computer. Thank you. 

• 10.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-30-2018 07:57
    This has happened to me and my wife more times than we can count. Its annoying, and it makes life so complicated, but I feel contracts won't help.  I feel all you will get is mad parents because in the end, they will do what they want, and then they will complain that family obligations come first, and that the contract doesn't hold up, and what will you in the end do about it? Most likely nothing. Kids dont' think, or they don't convey the right schedule and honestly it sucks. I don't really see a way around it. I feel like the only thing you can do is just not cast them in the future, or give them smaller roles until their commitment is proven again. 

I am in the private school land its is bad. Parents will do what they want, pull them when they want and really all you can do is work around it. You can try and get them to change the schedule if its something that can change, but from my experience, there isn't much you can do about it.  

My wife often has parent meetings, lays out the schedule, no one comes and mentions anything then all of sudden theres a family obligation.  

It sucks, but it seems like the way of educational theater.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 11.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-30-2018 12:13
    This is tough!  I had the exact same experience this spring.  We produced Our Town and did not have a single rehearsal until tech week that had the whole cast present the whole time.  Fortunately, I didn't have anyone duck out for silly reasons....the flu is not my friend!

It seems from your explanation that your kids are only concerned about the grade.  Do you give awards?  I give medals and pins and cords, etc.... Students who don't fulfill their commitment to a production don't earn the points and don't get the awards.  This helps a bit.  Maybe that would be a way to encourage that team culture.  Its hard if your policy is not to cast in the future when the Seniors know it's their last show. (I have the same policy, but for Seniors it doesn't apply.)

Hope the show goes well in spite of the challenges.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 12.  RE: Commitment to rehearsals

Posted 04-30-2018 12:20
    I have the same issue. Unfortunately our program is relatively small and we don't have the people to double cast or use understudies. So we're effectively at the mercy of the students because they know that their roles are pretty secure.

Christopher Gagnon
    Director of Theatre

Terre Haute IN