Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tableau in Zoom

Posted 07-07-2020 00:27
    I am trying to figure out if it is possible to have pairs of students create two-person tableaux in Zoom breakout rooms, and then present their tableaux to the rest of the class in the main room. Did a test with my daughter and husband and could not get them to appear side by side on my screen no matter what I clicked, though they were side by side on their own screens. When I put them in a breakout room they remained side by side on my daughter’s screen but my husband was on a phone and they went into vertical mode on his (no surprise there) Would someone adept at manipulating settings on Zoom be willing to have a conversation? Is this a case in which live classroom curriculum just cannot be adapted for the virtual setting? I teach 4 sections of Intro class and am seriously scaling back on collaborative physical activities but trying to salvage the basics. Thanks! Janet Borrus janb13@me.com

• 2.  RE: Tableau in Zoom

Posted 07-08-2020 08:14
    Hi Janet, 
    In my experience last spring, tis can SOMETIMES work if everyone is using a computer. If students are on an ipad it won't work. If you get any good answers, please share!!
    tina.tutt@mybga.org
    Thanks!!
    Tina

------------------------------
    Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 3.  RE: Tableau in Zoom

Posted 07-08-2020 10:08

Hi, Janet!
    If you are on a laptop, you need to resize your Zoom window to make it significantly wider than it is tall. As host it helps to hide the Participants side bar to give yourself more horizontal real estate on the screen. I don't know of a way to resize on a tablet or phone, though.
    You might already know this, but if you click the Zoom setting to hide non-video participants, then you can go into the Breakout room with them and be "invisible" if you have your camera shut off. Then you (or a third student) can take a screen shot of the two actors' tableau.
    Good luck!
    Cora

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ