Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tech I.E. Adjudication Questions

Posted 06-09-2019 16:02
    Hey Hive Mind! 
    A friend of mine will be attending ITF in a few weeks, and he's bringing his sound design I.E. We have never had a student go for a tech I.E. before. I know at Colorado Thespians they have around five minutes for a presentation, and then five of questioning. My questions are:

1. Does the format remain the same at ITF?
    2.  What are some typical questions that tech adjudicators are encouraged to ask? 
    3.  Are there any do's and don'ts that you have found with your students?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Bryan Lucchesi
    Broomfield CO

• 2.  RE: Tech I.E. Adjudication Questions

Posted 06-10-2019 09:03
    I have only judged in states, but I would suggest to make sure all documents are complete, have your statements clear and concise, technical charts are nice but attribute them were required(, explain your design, what made it hard, what made it fun, where did the effects/sounds come from, bring your cue script. Detail is very nice, don't rush, hit the points. Good Luck

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Tech I.E. Adjudication Questions

Posted 06-10-2019 09:21
    Hi, review rules. I think Colorado is pretty well aligned with National rules, but some states like Florida are not - especially in performance categories.

Also, the rubric for sound design scoring is available as well on schooltheatre.org

Remember, everyone at Nats was Superior at State, so you have to be the Superior or Superiors. Go beyond and think about ambient sound bed, bump music choices between scenes, have a clean and technically accurate sound cue sheet, etc. Have a clear statement of concept for sound and an understanding of how it fits in with the overall production. How does the sound serve the production? How does it set the mood? What is "outside"? Do those sounds become evident when a outside door or window is opened? 

Just some thoughts. Break a leg to your students!

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Academic Dean
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL