Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Mermaid Orchestration - 4 Keyboard Parts??

Posted 11-08-2017 19:53
    After 20+ years, we are considering doing our first musical from the Disney catalog - The Little Mermaid is one of the choices on our short list - however I discovered there are FOUR keyboard parts - I realize one covers for the strings - If you have done this show - do the other 3 keyboard parts require heavy playing or are some keyboard parts for "sound effects"?  THANKS!

------------------------------
    Mark Eberhard
    Theatre Director/Biology Teacher
    St. Clair MI

• 2.  RE: Little Mermaid Orchestration - 4 Keyboard Parts??

Posted 10-15-2018 14:45
    I know you posed this question last year, but I am now wondering the same thing. Anyone out there done The Little Mermaid?  I have done other shows that require 3 keyboards, but at least one is less intensive. How difficult is keyboard 4? Did you produce the show, Mark? Our music is arriving soon and I'm anxious.

Jody Hanna
    Newport OR

• 3.  RE: Little Mermaid Orchestration - 4 Keyboard Parts??

Posted 10-16-2018 17:24
    Good Afternoon
    MTI was slow in releasing the rights for Little Mermaid last fall (2017) - I was uncertain if and when they would issue a contract and we were too close to the beginning of production to wait much longer - thus our first venture into the Disney catalog ended up being Beauty and the Beast -- so we did not end up doing Little Mermaid and therefore I never got to see what the 4 keyboards parts involved -- sorry wish I could have been of more help -- good luck with your production!

Mark Eberhard
    Theatre Director/Biology Teacher
    St. Clair MI

• 4.  RE: Little Mermaid Orchestration - 4 Keyboard Parts??

Posted 10-17-2018 10:12
    We produced this show last April and it was a huge success for our rural area.  The 4th keyboard does cover the sting section, however we were fortunate enough to use real string players in our pit and we did not use that keyboard..  As for the other three parts, well keyboard three played a lot of chords and covered some instrumental parts, i.e. bass clarinet, etc.  The most important are keyboard 1 and 2, as they play a lot together and have much of the main accompaniment.  My pit director, said the most difficult part was switching the voices quickly on the vvarious keyboard parts.  Break-a-Leg with your show!!!

Jeffrey Hudkins
    Falling Waters WV