Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  High School Readers Theatre

Posted 10-20-2018 10:18
    I am looking for some guidance in preparing and presenting a Readers Theatre version of A Christmas Carol with high school students. The resources I am finding on line are geared towards primary grades. Can anyone supply any guidance regarding staging, use of set props, and formatting the story?
    Thank you!

------------------------------
    Sharon Garry
    Montclair NJ

• 2.  RE: High School Readers Theatre

Posted 10-21-2018 04:00
    I might suggest you consider the one act version of A Seussified Christmas Carol by Peter Bloedel.

A whimsical reinvention of Dickens' most beloved Christmas story in wacky rhymed couplets. With zoot fruited juices and binka bird geese, from Bed-Headed Fred to Timmy Loo Hoo, this tale of glorious holiday cheer is similar to something Dr. Seuss might have come up with -- if he ever had his way with the story...

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2295#readmore

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director
    Waterloo Community Schools
    Cedar Falls IA

• 3.  RE: High School Readers Theatre

Posted 10-21-2018 11:10
    I’ve directed it several times. How extensive do you want it? I usually open to Scrooge and Marley at two desks, I’ve actually used school desks with fake cardboard fronts, and feathers to write with and small ink containers with a fake cardboard pot belly stove in the backdrop. I use long skirts, button up shirts for the women with cloaks and day caps, that can be cloth shower caps (forgot the names). Men use vests, dress pants and top hats. Now is a good time to buy these at Halloween shops. Let me know what else you’re curious about.

Elayne Petrucci
    UPAHS Detroit

Sent from my iPhone