Open Forum

View Only

Leadership Academy 101 Professional Development

• 1.  Leadership Academy 101 Professional Development

Posted 08-09-2018 12:24
    Leadership Academy 101 Professional Development
    To: EdTA Members
    From: Leadership Academy Instructors, Frank Pruet, Gai Jones, Krista Carson Elhai, Debbie Corbin, Matt Conover, Jo Strom Lane
    We encourage you to attend this fall's EdTA National Conference in Denver, CO, September 13-16, 2018. 
    Additionally, we invite you to take part in the PDI - Leadership Academy on Thursday, September 13th which involves discussion of effective practices and tips for Leadership in theatre education settings and beyond.
    The above experts in the field of Theatre Leadership lead registered delegates through a practicum which can be implemented with a local Thespian Troupe, a Chapter's Leadership Training for students and teachers, a Chapter Board, and/or the national EdTA Governing Board.
    This PDI is designed for emerging leaders, as well as those with state and national leadership experience.

Register by the Conference Deadline.
    We look forward to your involvement.
    Level: All levels of experience
    Category: EdTA training
    Date offered: Thursday, September 13, 2018
    Fee: $100 Pre-Registration is required. 
    Leadership Academy 101 will prepare and train future leaders to serve the Educational Theatre Association mission and membership more effectively. This leadership intensive explores EdTA codes and policies, governance principles, action planning, using SMART goals, problem-solving and knowledge-based decision-making, working effectively with others, applying EdTA's core values, and effective leadership types and styles.
    Quotes from previous delegates
    . . .  finding my niche as a nurturer-leader helped me immensely. I saw this in how I handled a couple of minor incidents at our state festival just a few weeks ago. I was also reminded that we do not need to work alone. There is no honor lost in reaching out for help and others are more than willing to do what they can to help. 
    Martha B. Louden - Member, Former West Virginia Chapter Director

The Leadership Academy Class empowered me to not only become a more effective teacher of leadership within my own program, but also gave me the necessary tools to be an effective leader within my state. It also gave me the courage to volunteer to be a part of the Advocacy Leadership Network for EdTA. . .  By far, this was the best Professional Development I have ever had in my career.
    Anthony Cimino-Johnson - Member, Virginia Chapter Director

My biggest takeaway is that there isn't one personality or type of leader.  Each person has traits that can help them lead in their own unique way.  What's important is recognizing what type of leader of you are, acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses and then surrounding yourself with people that both recognize your vision and can 'fill in' your shortcomings.
    Erik Hart - Member, Former Michigan Chapter Director

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    ------------------------------