Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Competition Piece

Posted 09-10-2017 14:43
    I'm looking for a play for our one act play competition piece this year.  I have 1 boy that is a Senior now that I have had for his other 3 years of high school who is extremely talented. He has won best actor the other 3 years. I am wanting to find a play that really gives him the opportunity to shine. I also have 2 girls that are very talented. The competition allows 15 actors total and I do have student actors that would work for smaller roles. The play does not have to be written as a one act, it can be a full length play and I can seek approval from the production company to do scenes from. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated since after 24 years of doing this I am brain dead when it comes to thinking of one. 
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Jill Gable
    South San Theatre Teacher/Director
    977-7400 Ext. 7772

"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere."
                                                                                                                                          –Albert Einstein

• 2.  RE: Competition Piece

Posted 09-11-2017 09:08
    Look into 

Mirrors  by John O'brien...
    Great for a strong male lead.

------------------------------
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 3.  RE: Competition Piece

Posted 09-11-2017 11:08
    Look at Booby Trap by Ed Monk for a dramatic or 11 Variations of Friar John's Failure by Yuri Baranovski for a comedy. Both are available on Playscripts.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Competition Piece

Posted 09-12-2017 08:24
    I am embarking on The Sequence by Vincent Delaney Right now.  Only 3 males needed.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 5.  RE: Competition Piece

Posted 09-14-2017 03:49
    Have you looked at Women and War (Sam French) by Jack Hilton Cunningham?  An awesome piece; it was written as reader's theatre originally, but take a look at the one-act version.  Full staging is included in that one.  It is all about how war has taken its toll on everyone; wives, mothers, girl friends, & female soldiers.  You have characters from World War I to the present Iraqi conflict.  It has several strong male and female roles, and for your young man, the Vietnam Marine may just be the challenge he is looking for.  A beautiful piece, we were very successful with it seven years ago, and I am now producing the full length version as these are stories that need to be told again and again.  

Also, Jenny Saint Joan (Play Scripts) by Norman Allen.  It is the story of young Joan of Arc.  The first two scenes are when she is young and still just Jenny.  You meet the boy who loves her and wants her to be his wife and you meet Michael the Arc Angel who tells her who she will be.  The final scene is when she is waiting to be executed and she is now Joan.  

At first glance, the "players" in the play appear to be really cheesy and don't seem to gel with the rest of the play, but give it a second look.  Our players became Jenny/Joan's guardians and stayed on stage the entire show and at the end, enny/Joan was greeted by her "angels" before she meets Michael again.  It was a very powerful show for us, and one that took us far in competition.

My best!  
    Carolyn

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespians