Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins

Posted 01-18-2019 13:59
    For someone who doesn't have a fly system or a catwalk, any ideas on how to make the kites in Mary Poppins appear as if they're flying?

------------------------------
    Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 01-19-2019 11:29
    We're doing the same show this Spring, and I was thinking of having the kites on longish poles, like bamboo fishing poles, etc.  Might have operators in black or see if there is a way to sort of choreograph the movement of the ensemble to create the kite trajectories.  Michael's kite, we'll probably fly with a pulley from a baton on high test fishing line.  But I think the pole idea will work well.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 01-19-2019 15:10
    The pole idea sounds good as well as appropriate. Remember that this isn't a movie: it's live theatre. Other than the actors themselves, probably nothing else is going to be "realistic," and it doesn't need to be. As long as the poles work with the rest of the design concept, they'll fit right in. The scene, and how it moves the story forward, is what's important.

Over the past thirty-odd years, I've seen way too many "technical solutions" that not only do not help move the story forward, but that actually distract the audience from it.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 01-22-2019 09:52
      |   view attached
    We made the kites out of colored tissue paper on a frame of lightweight wood (wooden skewers worked for us). The "string" was fencing wire that we painted white. We attached it to a wooden handle, then created a socket in the kite for the wire to insert into (so we could store the kites more safely). I've attached a picture of the kites in action.

If these instructions are too vague, we got the idea from YouTube, so I'm sure you could find it. Lots of other creative Poppins solutions to be had there as well.

Have fun! It's such a marvelous show.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL