Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian club meetings/activities etc.

Posted 08-07-2020 16:27
    I would like to know what other directors are doing regarding Thespian club meetings, activities, fundraising and all those wonderful events that are hampered due to covid? What kind of fundraisers and community service projects are you planning? My officers plan on having twice a month meetings but want it to be more than just a social hour. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 2.  RE: Thespian club meetings/activities etc.

Posted 08-08-2020 07:56
    We're beginning the year in a hybrid model, so all extra curricular activites have to be virtual.  We will therefore meet twice a month virtually and I have a project idea to put together a cemetary walk.  I think that might be interesting as students can research a person and prepare a monologue or presentation of sorts that could be filmed one on one out of doors and I'll put them together as a shorter film.  The other thing I was thinking of doing was to write and develop a short viewpoints musical virtually.  

This is a great question and I look forward to hearing from other folks as to their ideas and plans

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Thespian club meetings/activities etc.

Posted 08-08-2020 14:06

-- Great question Sonja. I am newly taking over a theatre program with a Thespian club that has been student-run for many years. I'd love to hear of community service projects that have been rewarding for thespians and the community. How you adapt those to Covid restrictions might take some creativity, but thinking long term too!

Tracy Terstriep-Herber
    Theatre Director/ Performing Arts Chair

The Pembroke Hill School
    Respect   Compassion  |  Scholarship |  Integrity 

• 4.  RE: Thespian club meetings/activities etc.

Posted 08-10-2020 17:45
    Hi,
    Sorry for the late response. I have a sixth through eighth grade drama program and drama club. In June I told my DC Officers that we would be holding all monthly meetings, mentor meetings, our annual retreat, rehearsals and performances online. I did not want to wait to see what was going to happen and decided I needed to get a handle on this with the kids help this summer. The officers and I have meet several times in the last few months plan our virtual retreat. The officers have come up with a variety of ice breakers and games for the kids to do online and we will be holding workshops for the students led by the officers. They include how to audition virtually and do a callback, stage managing online, and learning a dance segment (this idea came from ITF). The kids are also having a workshop on how to stay positive during this trying time and have come up with several DYI projects for the kids to do and share. We are now working on our mentor program and know that we need to make it more robust than ever. Our officers will also hold monthly workshops on leadership, film study and a play club (like a book club but a play). We have had much discussion regarding community service and are still on the brainstorming part of that. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Elise Marinkovich
    Drama Teacher/Director, Drama Club Advisor
    San Diego CA

• 5.  RE: Thespian club meetings/activities etc.

Posted 08-22-2020 01:50
    @Sonja Brown

I'm planning on Virtual Cabaret, Virtual Talent Contest & Virtual Team Trivia. Hope I can get The  participation.

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser