Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big River - Community Response

Posted 05-05-2017 08:45
    Hello,
    My team and I have chosen Big River as our musical for next year.  Before I announce it to the students and community, I was wondering if anyone else has done the show recently and had any negative community reaction to the show's themes and language. 
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Big River - Community Response

Posted 05-06-2017 09:32
    We did BIG RIVER a few years back.  To this day, it is still one of the most talked about shows I've done during my tenure at school...in a POSITIVE way.
    From the moment I announced that we were doing the show, I made sure to address the literary and historical elements of the story and we, as a department, kept an open dialogue about what was acceptable in that time period compared to now. Throughout the production process, I began to witness something amazing. My students became more compassionate toward each other. There was more openness, more sharing, and more socializing across the normal friendship groupings. By the time we got to the curtain call on opening night, for the first time in my career, my cast had pulled our entire crew onstage with them and our entire auditorium was filled with their collective voices singing Muddy Water at the top of their lungs. Our audiences were moved by the sheer emotion of seeing a group of students from very diverse backgrounds, present a story about the injustices of slavery, overcome by the power of friendship and human kindness. (Not to mention a show with incredible music, and characters) Our production is one that I will forever claim "all the stars aligned" for. It was an incredibly emotional experience for ALL of us - actors and audience alike. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Susan Thompson
    Austin HighSchool Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 3.  RE: Big River - Community Response

Posted 05-08-2017 09:32
    Thank you for responding.  I announced the show on Saturday, and the students were excited.  I am encouraged by your story, and I am hoping our production will be just as meaningful.

Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Big River - Community Response

Posted 05-08-2017 06:52
    The source material has been a source of controversy since its original publishing. There are communities in which you could read Huck Finn and receive backlash and others that would be far more receptive. The same goes for Big River. You can't, nor should you try to, avoid the demons that haunt this material, because they are history's demons. Instead they must be confronted head-on. So long as you administration approves and supports your choice, I think it will be a rewarding experience for your staff and students. Whether or not you receive a backlash depends primarily on your population, but see the backlash as an opportunity rather than an obstacle. I have performed in this show and have wanted to direct it, but alas, I don't think this is an appropriate show for my population (l teach middle school), but if you feel this is the right show for the right cast at the right time, stand firmly behind your decision.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 5.  RE: Big River - Community Response

Posted 05-08-2017 10:18

We were banned from doing Mark Twain at my school.  We wanted to do it a couple of years ago.  It is such a powerfully moving show.  What a shame on my administration for not allowing us to do it. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

​​​​​

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org