Open Forum

View Only

Improv games in Zoom

• 1.  Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-08-2020 15:38
    I'm hoping to run a couple of improv shows with my team over zoom. What are some games that you think would translate well to that platform?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 2.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-09-2020 09:12
    I always like "What are you Doing"... where the idea of the activity is for each person to complete an action that was given to them by the person before. The person to start begins by doing any action. (brushing teeth, combing hair, running in place) a person from the group asks, What are you doing and the person who is "IT" tells them any action except the one that they are doing... the new person has to do the action that the "It" stated... goes as long as you want.

Verla Hutchins
    Drama Teacher
    Corwin International Magnet school
    Pueblo CO

• 3.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-10-2020 11:41
    "What Are You Doing?" is always one of my favorites, even though the tradition if I'm playing too is to make me do push-ups.

Penelope Haskew
    Director of Education
    San Juan Comunity Theatre
    Friday Harbor WA

• 4.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 01-27-2021 05:28

Here's a variant on "What are you doing?"
    First caller says "Hi, what are you doing?"
    Second caller says, "I'm at work, you know [...ing]"
    The professions are all unusual. Here are some examples: "Chicken plucking", "Plumbing artist", "Garbage Inspector", "clock winder", "the guy who pushes the barrels over the bridge" [that is a real job in the Middle Ages]

Hi, what are you doing.
    Chicken plucking.
    What part are you on?
    Hard to tell. What's up.
    Kentucky or ??

steve levy

• 5.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-09-2020 10:51
    We tried Experts the other day and it worked really well! One student is given a topic on which to be an "expert" while the rest of the class must choose a specific journalist persona from a specific magazine or newspaper. The journalists' questions must align with their magazine/newspaper and the expert must improv his/her way through the interview. Teacher plays moderator.

Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 6.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-09-2020 16:52
    There is a professional company doing improv shows on Zoom:https://www.facebook.com/batsimprov/
    Might help your students to be able to watch.

Maura Vaughn
    Director of Theatre
    The Branson School 
    Pronouns: she, her, and hers    
    O: 415-455-7146
    www.branson.org
    P.O. Box 887, Ross, CA 94957

• 7.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-10-2020 10:18
    We did "interview" and it worked well. I put one student in the waiting room. The other students decide who the one in the waiting room will be. For example the first student was Boris Johnson. Then I bring them back to the meeting and the class begins to ask questions of the person until that it becomes clear by the answers they have caught on and know who they are.

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 8.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-21-2020 13:55
    I just had a session this morning where we played two games very successfully.  One was called "Caption This" and another was called. "Commercial".

"Caption This" is a variation on "Scenes From a Hat".  I screen share a bizarre image I find on the web, and students must generate as many newspaper captions as they can for the image.  I just did a search for "bizarre stock images" and found tons of funny ones.

For "Commercial", each student had 30 seconds to go off-camera and find a random object in their home, keeping it hidden from view.  I would call out one student to be the model--the "Vanna White".  They would display and interact with their object in any way they chose, but couldn't speak.  I would pinspot their video on Zoom so everybody saw them clearly.  Another student would then be chosen to be the narrator.  They would describe the object and its uses based on the model.  Of course, the rule is that the object cannot be used for its actual function.  Once students became comfortable with the format, the interaction could become two-way, which really opened the door for some funny moments!!

Jason Coats
    Shawnee Mission Northwest HS
    Thespian Troupe #888
    Shawnee, KS

• 9.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-25-2020 17:17

Hey Everyone!

I teach at The Second City and am doing a lot of shows with ComedySportz St. Louis (CsZ STL) I'm always more than happy to share thoughts about games! I'm cut down on hours, so if anyone would like a special guest zoom instructor, let me know! 

I'm doing a show tonight if your students would like to watch :D  6p Pacific, 8p Central, 9p Eastern, Family-friendly all ages short form 

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FIggSPq8TcClNbiWprZ9UQ

BJ Lange
    Teacher
    The Second City and Orange County School of the Arts CA
    Hollywood CA

• 10.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 04-29-2020 19:36

All,

Shoot me a message, and I can send you a list of online games!  BOTH: bjcomedy@gmail.com, bjlange@secondcity.com 

If you or your students need some inspiration and/or 'extra credit' over thee weekend and perhaps a discussion for next class: 

CsZ (ComedySportz) This FRIDAY and SATURDAY at 6p Pacific/ 8p Central/ 9p Eastern as part of ComedySportz STL! Friday, I'll be the EMCEE/Announcer:
    https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_UAp5b5vuTCOEQRwFIr9CiQ

Saturday I'm playing in the show as a team captain:
    https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JMr-t80aSbCUY4qg_iem-Q

BJ Lange
    Teacher
    The Second City and Orange County School of the Arts CA
    Hollywood CA

• 11.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 01-27-2021 04:58
    Here's a game I invented. I think I did. The name of the game is "Doctor Doctor". The patient is visiting the doctor. The doctor has a variety of tools for cooking, carpentry, cleaning, etc. The patient always asks a question. "Doctor Doctor what is [the name of the tool] for?" The doctor responds. For example "Doctor Doctor what is the soldering iron for?" "Wart removal and do it yourself electronics"

steve levy

• 12.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 01-27-2021 05:05
    Doctor doctor, why do you have a vacuum cleaner hose?
    Colonoscopy.
    Doctor doctor, what's the saw for?
    Scaring people. Are you scared? Maybe I should get a bigger saw.

steve levy

• 13.  RE: Improv games in Zoom

Posted 01-27-2021 05:16
    OK, you did not like the doctor jokes. How about this: You are in a restaurant and you are telling the cook what he/she did wrong. And the cook responds.

Dinner: I think the eggplant is undercooked. 60 seconds longer would have been perfect.
    Cook: Has anyone ever told you your head is shaped like a box?

I think this needs a little work. Maybe it's not so funny. Box head has a you know funny ring to it. Box head shrimp instead of eggplant.

steve levy