Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Arts Integration Ideas? - In the Theatre

Posted 08-01-2018 22:03
    Hi All,

I'm looking for arts integration ideas (ideas, worksheets, lesson plans) for non-arts classes that could take place in a theatre.

Last year, an ELD teacher requested tours of the theatre, because students in her class were reading a play and many had never been in a theatre before.  I'm looking for more examples like this (technical or performance based) that I could offer to teachers of other subjects.  I want to promote events and arts classes to students who don't normally see the space.  Ultimately we could have more audience members and arts students.  This would of course take place when the space would normally be dark, and I'd be around to manage the space.

Ideas?

Sydney

------------------------------
    Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 2.  RE: Arts Integration Ideas? - In the Theatre

Posted 08-02-2018 08:01

Sydney,

Theatre Scavenger Hunt- After teaching the terminology associated with theatre space, diivide class into groups of 4-5. Each group has a color. Put together and hide 5 sequenced clues whose answers are part of the theatre space (house, pit, wings, etc.). Each clue's answer should be hidden in that space.  For instance, "Here is where you sit during a play. Until intermission it's where you stay." Students have to figure out the answer (house) search the house to find their next clue. You can write each clue in the color of each team so that teams do not find each others clues. Each team has an answer sheet where they write the 'answer' to the clues in order. This way, if you keep track of the sequence of clues for each team- you know that they learned the theatre terminology and didn't just hunt for clues willy-nilly.  

Found Object Set Design Challenge- Provide a one-two page cutting of a script where the dialogue implies use of stage space needed set pieces. Give students (individual or groups depending on how you want to do it) access to cardboard bases (stage), scissors, glue, tape, and found objects like toilet paper rolls, paper, fabric scraps, etc. and have them design the stage space. Bonus: Students get to explain their placement of 'set pieces' based on their reading of the cutting- making their thinking evident to classmates. 

Also, check out ARTSEDGE: The Kennedy Center's Arts Education Network.  It is a collection of integrated arts ideas across disciplines, subject areas, and grade levels. The lessons are vetted by arts educators and there are ideas for teachers both with and without specialized arts training. 

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Arts Integration Ideas? - In the Theatre

Posted 08-02-2018 08:13
    There's also tons of good stuff on the UT-Austin Drama-Based Pedagogy site. I'm attaching a link that contains several cross-curricular ideas: Facilitation Plans | Drama-Based Instruction
    Utexas remove preview
    Facilitation Plans | Drama-Based Instruction
    Use the categories below to navigate our database of facilitation plans.
    View this on Utexas >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Arts Integration Ideas? - In the Theatre

Posted 08-02-2018 13:15
    Here's a few connections to the technical and design elements off the top of my head:

Rigging systems and Newton's Laws of Motion
    Lighting position and angle of incidence with trigonometry
    Lighting distance and brightness with the inverse square law for lighting intensity
    Speaker delays and speed of sound
    Incandescent and LED lights with energy conservation
    Lighting control systems with computer coding
    Design, drafting, and modeling
    Color theory:  the differences between light and pigment
    Scenic design and set construction

I'm certain there are many others, but it should give you a start into ways to integrate with math, science and CTE.

Jym Kinney
    Tacoma, Washington