Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Devising a one act

Posted 12-31-2019 09:24
    HI,
       My students and I are working on devising a one act around the idea of inclusion.  For a variety of reasons we chose to take the story of Cinderella and  give it a twist. We developed an outline and characters which basically changed the story so that Cinderella is a lesbian, outed by one of her step-sisters to the step mother who is homophobic and this is why she is mistreated, she goes to the ball and it turns out there is an older sister of the prince - who being a woman cannot inherit the kingdom hence the desire to marry off the Prince who is a jerk and wants to play around - Cinderella and the Princess run into each other and fall in love - convince the parents to allow the marriage and let the princess take over the kingdom.  I had a gut feeling that this was too after-school specialty  but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong until my tech director watched a rehearsal and said pretty much the same thing.  He suggested taking the basic outline and characters and [putting it in a different world  - which would allow for others to become a part of the inclusion piece - perhaps a homeless god mother , a disabled friend, a .........   The idea is to put into theatre this poem -

A poem -  Where the world is in terms of inclusion

You and I and Us and Them

Too many walls, too many differences

Too much hate, too much I am right and you are wrong

Too much  "in my day" too much " why don't you see my world"

My struggles but I don't see yours

Too much past, not enough future,

Too much loud, not enough soft

We need to find the heart, that is the essence of all   and the idea that inclusion is having a voice and belonging is having the voice be heard.

So I have been thinking a researching possible worlds - fashion world of the1950's?  journalism - news - 1950's or earlier? Thoughts?  Suggestions?  
    This piece will be our One act and  the opening to our GIN conference in April  which has inclusion as its theme. 
    Thank  you.

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Devising a one act

Posted 01-03-2020 15:14
    Hi Cathy! There have been a few discussions in the past about Devised Theatre, the one I've linked below is particularly useful. If the advice suggested isn't helpful in this specific circumstance, maybe directly contacting a few of the teachers who are experienced in this area will give you a sounding board:

Devised Theatre

You could also seek a mentor through Mentor Match who is willing to mentor others on this subject for expert advice, there are at least 5 who are accepting mentees in this area now.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Devising a one act

Posted 01-05-2020 09:28
    I guess my question is not so much about how to devise a play but rather does the outline I provided make sense. Is it a play headed for "greatness" or  disaster? I am really looking for comments on the content. I have devised several plays with my students- I run a summer program and we devise our script every summer.  That being said the information provided in the devising theatre thread was helpful as well as affirming because i use many of the books mentioned!  THank you. And if anyone out there has any comments about the content it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT