Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mobile paint cart & mixing table

Posted 11-22-2018 13:58
    A post about a mobile costume shop here a couple of days ago was so cool that it inspired me to post sketches of a paint cart I created for a theatre a number of years ago. The goal of the cart was to have all the paint for a given show in one place, and to be able to move it onto the stage, or any part of the shop, as necessary. The rest of the paint stock, as well as supplies, were on shelves in the shop.

To start, we bought six plastic bins, about shoebox-size, which initially determined the width of the cart. The bins would be used for masking tape, gloves, chalk/charcoal, and other items. Then we figured out the rest of the dimensions based on the size of 5-gallon, 1-gallon, and quart paint cans. In the end, the cart was just about four feet wide by two deep, and thirty inches high. And it was built totally from scrap materials.

To make sure that the one little item which was sure to vanish every time -- the paint-can opener -- was always available, we just tied it to a string secured to the cart handle. It never went anywhere.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 2.  RE: Mobile paint cart & mixing table

Posted 12-07-2018 20:53
    Thanks for sharing, George.  I often inherit a lot of junk in our auditorium that the school doesn't know what to do with.  It just so happens they left me an old laptop cart and I think it would work perfect as a paint cart with a few modifications.  The power supply inside should come in handy as well.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA