Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theatre Text?

Posted 12-10-2018 15:31
    Seeking recommendations for Technical Theatre textbooks... Does anyone have one they really like? I'd like to find something that is strictly for the technical side of theatre, as opposed to a general theatre text that includes acting and theatre literature (like "Stage and the School").  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

------------------------------
    Amy Rawlins
    Theatre Teacher
    Decatur GA

• 2.  RE: Technical Theatre Text?

Posted 12-11-2018 00:32
    There are several good ones, but they tend to specialize in set design, scenery construction, or lighting, with a few on costuming. I went through a lot of the ones available on Amazon a couple of years ago to set up my Set Design and Tech Bookstore on my blog and selected some of the best ones. You can find them at https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/the-sdt-book-store.

[Edit] I just now realized my Amazon store account was cancelled due to lack of sales. I'm deleting all references to it. Sorry about the inconvenience if you tried to go there.

If you're looking for something even more specific, check out the series of videos put out by Bob and Marty Fowler at https://practicaltechnicaltheatre.com.

The sad thing, IMHO, about a lot of these is that they address the tech subjects as if they were ends in themselves instead of just a part of the overall process of mounting a production.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    -----------------------------

• 3.  RE: Technical Theatre Text?

Posted 12-11-2018 13:07

I use Scene Design & Stage Lighting (9th Ed., Wadsworth Cengage Learning) together with Stagecraft 1: Complete Guide to Backstage Work (3rd Ed., Wm H. Lord, Author)

Eric Thomas  

• 4.  RE: Technical Theatre Text?

Posted 12-11-2018 13:38
    I use Stage Fundamentals by Rita Carver in my introduction to tech class.  The link below will allow you to see what's in the book and you can get a free trail online to see if you want to use it.

Stagecraft Fundamentals

For my advanced students, I used Theatrical Design and Production

Theatrical Design and Production

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Technical Theatre Text?

Posted 12-11-2018 16:30
    Recommended in 2015 post from Phillip Goodchild:  Look at "Stagecraft Fundamentals" and "Technical Theatre for Non-technical People."  Good reviews for the latest editions on Amazon. 

Look carefully yourself, because I'm not that familiar with high school level. There appears to be preferences based on teacher background, student population, curriculum and local standards. Colleges tend to use other texts. 

--
    Professor Thomas C. Hird, Theatre and Dance
    Director of the School of Arts and Media
    Cal State East Bay
    510-885-4813
    FAX 510-885-4748