Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Contract approval for Licensing

Posted 09-17-2019 11:59

Hello Friends,

I have a friend who teaches in a different district than me in MS. Apparently, their district attorney looks over all their licensing contracts from say MTI, Tam-Witmark, or Pioneer.. etc.. to name a few. Apparently, this specific district attorney will only approve the contract if it does not include indemnity clause. This same individual is now asking that the Warranty Clause be removed from the original contracts in question. Because of these requested alterations, the school itself is losing the ability to produce shows from Rogers and Hammerstein and MTI.

I have instructed my friend to set a meeting with the Superintendent and their Attorney. I'm hoping that this may be a lack of understanding form the attorney's perspective. However, if any of you have had similar experiences or have any suggestions of how or what to say to help my friend out, I would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Erick 

------------------------------
    Erick Weeks
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Pearl Public Schools
    Pearl MS

• 2.  RE: Contract approval for Licensing

Posted 09-18-2019 13:01
    Never heard of that before...  I just thought DAs were supposed to... you know bust the bad guys.  If ya'll don't have enough of those we can send you some (ou Sheriff's Websites seem to have plenty).

But for real, that's a boatload of shows to cross off the list.

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 3.  RE: Contract approval for Licensing

Posted 09-23-2019 11:14
    We tweak our indemnification all the time. From our locality (the state of NY) to the state in question, or change the phrase to stipulate "to the extent permitted by ______ (name of state) law..."

It is very common with universities and becoming more & more of an issue with ISD's. So much so that we have a standard Addendum. Not that attorneys like the Addendum language much more than what's in the Agreement. 

Just allow plenty of time for back & forth to make everyone happy.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York