Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-04-2017 15:49
    Does anyone have a script idea for a cast of 15 or less that is classic literature or Fairytale based? I'm not looking for something obnoxious or less than charming, if it is Fairytale-based. This makes for a tough search- I've looked thru so many scripts! Would appreciate recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-05-2017 06:38
    Try The Ash Girl or Dominic Cooke's Arabian Nights. Both very popular.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-05-2017 07:45

Have you considered Charlotte's Web?  I have directed it twice now, and love the warm message the play invokes.  Classic literature for sure!  Another one we loved was A Little Princess - non musical if there is a musical.  There is another show called The Fabulous Fable Factory - I believe it is a musical, but there may be a non-musical version.  It is about a fable factory that comes to life and performs the fables.  It is light hearted and has good morals.  Good luck!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-05-2017 09:56
    ​I second Dominic Cooke's Arabian Nights. Someone on this forum suggested it to us last year, and it was wonderful! Very family-friendly version, contains some less commons stories, lots of room for doubling and creative staging. We did it with almost no set and no costume changes, the actors had to become everything.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-05-2017 11:51
    The National Theatre did a really lovely and inventive production of Peter Pan a few years ago that you might want to check out. Also the school edition of Kneehigh's Hansel and Gretel. There are few things in the world more magical than a Kneehigh production.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 6.  RE: Searching for young audience script

Posted 12-06-2017 07:30
    I love The Cat Princess, if you are looking for a one-act.  We took it on tour to elementary schools at the beginning of my career, and everyone had a blast!

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com