Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dumbing Down

• 2.  RE: Dumbing Down

Posted 08-01-2017 08:26
    Thank you for posting this!  I completely agree. Children will respond according to the way they are treated and in my experience, almost always step up!

------------------------------
    Tess Pasieka
    Admin Asst, Student Services/Spec Ed, Drama Advisor
    Mascenic Regional School District
    Greenville NH

• 3.  RE: Dumbing Down

Posted 08-01-2017 08:50
    What a delightful article. As I read it, I recalled sitting on my daughter's bed with her, then age 6, and reading all seven books of The Chronicles of Narnia over the course of the summer break (like the father in the article, I did all the voices). We teared up together at the final scene, and basked in the joy of reading great literature. 

She went on to delight in good books, choosing  Jane Eyre for her 6th grade summer reading while other children opted for far more easily-digested material. Today, she is a deep thinker and an eloquent writer, and the only one among her peers who has an extensive  knowledge of classic filmdom, for which she often says, "Thanks, Mom."

As my 4th-8th grade students are gearing up for their first foray into the fantastic fun and rapier wit of Gilbert and Sullivan (The Pirates of Penzance Jr.), I happily applaud this wonderful article. Thank you for posting it!

Vicky Ryden
    Assoc. Drama Director
    John's Creek GA

• 4.  RE: Dumbing Down

Posted 08-02-2017 01:42
    Thank you for sharing!  I agree that we need to explain, explain, explain and then let our audiences enjoy.  I tell my students regularly that the more fully they understand what they're saying (especially the double entendre), the better the audience will understand it.  We had a wonderful production of Hamlet in the spring that was the most work any of us have put in, ever, but it was incredibly well received because of all that hard work - including 6 weeks of text analysis.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR