Open Forum

View Only

Mic tape on faces?

• 1.  Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-03-2018 11:02
    Need new product. My kids are sweating through what I am using. Please tell me what works for you and where you get it.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 06:07
    We go with staples or a hot glue gun....

But seriously, I use Nexcare flexible clear first aid tape. I have only had one issue with irritation on an actor's skin. I have had to use BandAid flexible fabric  or waterproof flexible fabric bandages a couple times for boom mics on the cheek. The advantage of the flexible fabric line is that make up can cover and blend the look. 

Brian

• 3.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 07:13
    Try wiping the spot with alcohol first and then clear medical tape. If they are already a little oily, or have make up on, the tape won't stick. The alcohol will give you a clean surface to adhere to.
    Also, if sweat is a serious issue, buy a bottle of Ben Nye Final Seal. Spray their bare face, then make up, then spray again. 

• 4.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 10:57
    I too have been using the Nexcare flexible clear tape. We have up to 24 actors wearing microphones, so I save money by ordering the six packs from Amazon.

------------------------------
    Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 5.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 11:28
    This does not directly answer your question, but we've moved to miniature lavalier mics which we weave into hair or place in costuming, etc.  They can be color matched with a marker if you like or just sort of disappear.  

Hope that helps, maybe down the road.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 13:49
    3M Transpore clear medical tape.

• 7.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 14:34
    I have used this successfully for years now. It takes patience to remove slowly, but it really sticks. 

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 8.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 15:12
    I use generic brand (like Wal-Mart - they are cheaper) "Breathe Right" strips. Buy the clear and cut them in half. That is the only thing I use any more. They work great.

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 9.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 15:25
    I have had a lot of success using OPSITE transparent adhesive waterproof film.  Put this stuff on the skin UNDER the mic and then tape the mic to the Opsite film.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 10.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-04-2018 21:13
    Have you tried breathe right strips? We had good luck with those.

Jean Toole
    Liberty SC

• 11.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-05-2018 07:31
    Why not do it the "old-fashioned" way and put the mic cord thru the hair and have the mic at the hairline.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-05-2018 09:28

Tegaderm tape.  It works great.  Amazon has it.  Most good medical supply stores have it. Best thing I've ever used on faces.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 13.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-06-2018 09:13
    ​We use the Nexcare flexible clear first aid tape. It sticks and is non-latex. We prep the area with alcohol to remove any residual oils. Also remember to apply the mic prior to the actors getting on their makeup. We use three pieces of tape. On at the mice, one behind the ear and one at the base of the neck. No problems. The Breath Right strips intrigue me though so I'm gonna have to try those.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 14.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-06-2018 12:14
    We weave it through the hair and if we cannot do that then we use clear medical tape that you can purchase cheap at Walgreens or the like.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 15.  RE: Mic tape on faces?

Posted 03-06-2018 14:18
    Any of the options above are good one. I try to use as many through the hair as possible

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ