Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-13-2019 10:20
    Hello hive brain!

I teach a 7/8 group (2 times per six day rotation), this year with 18 motivated students.  

Normally I would do a scene study (the second one, they did a 'practice' one earlier in the year), culminating in a scene share evening (informal recital style) for families.  

Because my group is so motivated this year, I'm contemplating the idea of doing a vignette play instead (and yes, paying the royalties!), but I have pretty specific needs.

Does anyone have suggestions of shows that would fit all the following requirements?  
    - Roles for at least 18
    - At least some gender neutral/flexible roles
    - Discrete scenes, with no more than one full cast or large cast scene (so that everyone is always working), and no characters that cross over between scenes (unless that character can be played by different people in each scene)
    - Completely appropriate for middle school (a fairly conservative school)
    - Not focused on relationships/crushes/etc.
    - At least some serious scenes/monologues
    - Scenes that are all reasonably similar in length (not some that are 1 minute and others that are 10, for instance)
    - Not farce, spoof, or jokey comedy 

I have started to look at descriptions online, but don't have the budget to order perusals of lots of plays (and then a full set of scripts plus royalties afterward).

Thanks for any ideas you may have!  I can always fall back on a 'regular' mix of scenes, but I'd love to give this group the chance to do something more like a complete show ...

Kristin Hall

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 2.  RE: Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-13-2019 12:30
    The one that comes to mind for me is The Dining Room by A.R. Gurney and available for Dramatists Play Services. I think it fits all of the criteria you mentioned above, with the possible exception of it being appropriate for middle school. I think it's very appropriate for high school, but for middle school, it's a bit iffy. There is some language as I recall (damn, goddamn, and maybe some others) and a bit of alcohol usage. You may be able to get permission to remove some of it though, I don't know. I think it's at least worth a look as I think it checks a lot of your boxes. It was originally designed to have 6 actors play many different roles, but I think you could easily distribute as many of them out as you'd like. No scene has more than 6 in it.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-13-2019 16:00
    Thanks, Christopher.  I love The Dining Room, but have always thought of it more as a high school show ... worth another look though!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 4.  RE: Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-13-2019 16:02
    I'ts not my favorite show (especially for high school students) but your kids might appreciate Class Action by Brad Slaight. It's a combination of short scenes and monologues about high school life.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-14-2019 09:30
    You might try Mutually Assured Destruction by Don Zolidis.  10 scenes, 2 people per scene.  Each scene is set in a progressive decade of the 20th century.  Each of the scenes is between siblings.  Some are funny, some are serious.  Overall it is comic, and Zolidis does a lot of pretty goofy comedy, but he does it well.  I think the characters are well drawn and the conflicts are genuine.  We produced it several years ago and it was well received.  Mr. Zolidis is also great to work with when it comes to any editing necessary.

Break a leg!
    Stuart Graham
    Heights High School
    Wichita, KS

Stuart Graham
    Wichita KS

• 6.  RE: Vignette plays for class work

Posted 02-14-2019 09:43
    Have you looked at Class Action by Brad Slaight?  It's all vignettes of 2-5 players, and was written for high school students to perform.  I'm working on it now with my middle schoolers, and it lends itself very well to the situation you described.

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY