Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-12-2018 11:17

I am studying the audition and casting procedures and policies at our school.

I am looking for input from other high school theatre directors.  I am particularly interested in hearing from those of you who offer classes with co-curricular productions as well as purely extra-curricular productions at their school.

Can you email me a brief description of your audition process and any rubrics or scoring devices you use at initial auditions or callbacks? How do you give feedback after auditions?  Do you have a formalized process?

I am also interested in hearing from any of you if you do season casting at your school and what benefits you see in it.

Please don't feel that you need to compose a lengthy description. A brief explanation of what you do with any attached documents you use would be great.

Finally please include your school and the state and city where you are located.

Please send your responses to me directly at whaphamj@sycamoreschools.org

Thanks so much!
    John Whapham
    Theatre Director
    Sycamore High School

This email and any attachments contain information that is, or may be, covered by state/federal student privacy laws or electronic communication privacy laws and it may also be considered confidential and proprietary in nature. This email and any response to it may constitute a public record, and therefore may be made available upon request in accordance with Ohio public records law (ORC 149.43).

If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• 2.  RE: Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-13-2018 11:26
    I, too, would be very interested in this information.  Feel free to be as brief or as lengthy as you like.  Post here for others to see if you prefer or email me at nevadaly@gmail.com

Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Laurie Yarborough
    Parent
    Reno NV

• 3.  RE: Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-14-2018 08:43
    I no longer post cast lists, but use casting letters.  Along with the letters every student receives an evaluation.  Each student picks up their casting letter from me at the beginning of the school day and throughout the day (most are picked up within the first ten minutes).  Students only know what their role is, but they discuss roles with each other and can usually figure out the casting before the end of the day.  I refuse to reveal any casting choices (even to fellow teachers not involved in the process) until each student has received his or her casting letter.

Since using casting letters, I have had no complaints from students or parents.  The students keep their casting letters and know what they need to work on for the next audition.  Casting letters take me a long time to write, but the pros outweigh the cons.  Students don't have to rush to a board or have someone else tell them they got the lead or didn't get cast.  They can open the letter in front of me (few do), with their friends, or in the privacy of the bathroom stall.  My students love the casting letters.

I have attached a copy of the letter and evaluation for our last audition.

Hope this helps!

Robin Christopher
    Geneva OH

Attachment(s)

doc
    Casting Acceptance.doc   23 KB 1 version
    doc
    Casting Rejection.doc   22 KB 1 version
    doc
    Evaluation Form.doc   23 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-14-2018 09:18
    Colleagues,

Thanks to the few of you who have sent me things about your audition process.  I know it's a busy time, but I could use more responses from HS Theatre directors.  My bottom line needs are:
    •  a brief explanation of your process
    • any scoring device or rubrics you use.  (if you don't use any that's fine too). 
    • Also, I'm curious who out there does season auditions or do you do show by shows auditions?
    I am trying to build a significant data pool for a discussion I'm having about best practice for auditions for HS theatre programs.  Please send to me at whaphamj@sycamoreschools.org

John Whapham
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-15-2018 10:17
    We considered season casting this year. We have a very large number of girls, about 40% seniors, who could be right for leads/features in all three of our productions. We want to make sure that everyone gets a chance to be featured in the best possible role for their skills. We made it clear at the informational meeting that there were no “no-cut” shows, but that it was a “no-cut” SEASON- meaning that you are guaranteed a role in at least one production (cast or crew....our crew process is more rigorous than our casting). Thus, the idea of casting the entire season was born.

We ended up only casting our one-acts and the winter musical at the same time. We justified this by the idea that, casting the spring musical (the one they’ll all be fighting over most) in August prevented kids who were new to the school or new to music or drama (or any) classes and might not yet have the nerve to audition so early. It would hurt freshmen, as well, because they wouldn’t have had the time to set themselves apart. Finally, it gave us the chance to say “Thank you so much for auditioning. We are offering group voice lessons in our tutorial period once a week. We’d love if you would take part in that,” giving kids a chance to develop their voices into what we need for “Jesus Christ Superstar” in the spring.

The benefit of doing auditions for two shows at once was that it helped us decide casting when all other things were equal: “They were both amazing in their Hugo Peabody auditions, but this guy is getting the lead in “Of Mice and Men” and this guy can’t do the spring show, so this is his only chance.”

• 6.  RE: Auditions, Season casting, process and rubrics

Posted 09-15-2018 16:27
    We experimented with a few different things. Season casting did not work out, for us, in the main because of transitory students, and other commitment issues arising that were not foreseen by either student or teacher at the time of casting. 

I loved Mrs. Christopher's process of not using a cast list posting, but the acceptance/rejection letter thing. I would have probably tried that, to see how that went. I can imagine it makes dealing with the decision made a lot easier on the students, and helps to save face (particularly for that student who was sure that they were getting the lead, only for it be announced for all to see that they got Spear Carrier #5).

To answer directly, briefly:

We did co-curricular and extra curricular productions.
    Extra-curricular productions were auditioned in an audition process, sometimes with callbacks.
    (Quite a few times I would have an idea of who I was wanting to cast, but then a completely new person might turn up for auditions who would shake things up a bit. Earlier on in the program I took bigger risks on unknown performers, but due to getting burnt a couple times, main roles usually ended up going to those who auditioned well and had a proven track record).
    I did use a rubric, which I can't access right now, but it was very similar to the one posted by Mrs. Christopher, with a space for more detail critique underneath the scoring rubric. Casting was decided through a wrap up meeting with me, my wife, and my two senior student production managers for the show. 

Co-curricular, class productions were told that everything they were doing in class, performance wise, was an audition, just like real life. I let them know that they could express a preference for a particular role, and I would take their preference into consideration, and sometimes they would get their preference. ​I would cast the show under consideration through observation and what I felt would challenge or push students; I also took into consideration which of my students were in extra curricular shows and balance their roles out (if they were a main extra curricular, then they'd have a smaller role in the co-curricular). 

I liked to spread my actors around and not cast the same leads all the time, so folks had a basic understanding or expectation that at some point, they were likely to get a main or lead role, but we also hammered the nature of ensemble relentlessly, to try and avoid that butt-hurt mentality that arises from operating out of the conceit that only playing the main roles is what matters. So that was nice. 

Hope this helps. I taught in Florida at a rural high school. Email me if you absolutely need the name of the school.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Chapter Director, Ontario Thespians

Etobicoke ON