Open Forum

View Only

Drama Anthology + theatre history textbook

• 1.  Drama Anthology + theatre history textbook

Posted 08-06-2020 09:44
    Hi all,
    I've been teaching for the last 10 years from Drama: Classical to Contemporary in my senior Drama Theory and Criticism class. I like the plays that I've been teaching from it, and I love its history sections, playwright bios, and play analysis. However, it doesn't contain anything more recent than the 1990's. Also, my books are completely falling apart. I'd like to teach some more contemporary and diverse pieces, but they still need to be relatively high school appropriate. Does anyone have another, more recent anthology/history textbook that they like? I prefer an all-in-one rather than separate history books and play scripts, as I don't think my department can afford to buy all that. I want something challenging (think Drama IV or college-level Intro), but I really have to be careful about too much strong language in the plays.

I could also use a new Intro to Theatre textbook. I know a lot of you like Art in Action, and I do, too. But I have a separate acting class, so I'm looking for a book that's more theatre history, terms, major playwrights, and intro to design.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA
    ------------------------------