Open Forum

View Only

Zoom productions

• 1.  Zoom productions

Posted 04-03-2020 08:35
    Good morning all! I had a production planned of Arsenic and Old Lace for May 8 and 9. Right now, we are scheduled to return May 4th. If that happens, I foresee a staged reading of the play, but just in case, I am considering another alternative. 

I have a cast of 14 - 5 men and 9 women, and 2 female assistant directors. I would love to find some short (5-10 minute) plays with a connected theme that they could do on Zoom to record and send to their classmates (with the appropriate royalties paid, of course. We are a small school of about 200 students.) I am the kind of director who uses a lot of movement to keep things interesting, and this is tough going on zoom. I've thought of radio shows, but they are rarely visually interesting. (NPR has tons available on their website which we used years ago. My favorite response from Garrison Keillor - use them all you like for educational purposes. No royalties.) 

Any ideas would be appreciated! My cast ranges from 7th through 12th grade (though just 3 junior high students.) I have some singing talent, too, among my group of 16. Most are not set up for advanced editing at home. 

So, hive mind, send me your best ideas!

Thank you!

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

• 2.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-04-2020 09:26

Hi there! 

Playscripts is going to be releasing plays that can be performed on Zoom at the rate of 3-4 per week, starting Tuesday. 

I've got a new one, 10 WAYS TO SURVIVE LIFE IN A QUARANTINE, that's extremely flexible, can use some singing talent, and can be performed and streamed from your students' rooms. It also calls for the kids to create their own sets and costumes out of what they have available, so it's not simply memorizing a monologue and standing in front of a camera. The cast size can accommodate 12-32 actors (there's a longer version and a shorter version) and the play should be up and available to read online on Tuesday. 

I can send you a preview if you like since it's not up quite yet on their website. 

------------------------------
    Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 3.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-04-2020 10:01
    I would love to see it. Thank you!

• 4.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-05-2020 07:14
    Hi,
    Would also like to have a look at any/all scripts that are designed to be performed on Zoom.
    We also lost our spring production, but if there's the possibility of doing something live online,
    would definitely consider it.
    Thank you!
    Marc Raia
    Upper Theatre
    Seven Hills School
    Cincinnati OH

Marc Raia
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-05-2020 17:04
    Would love to see this!

James Denison
    Ellensburg WA

• 6.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-06-2020 07:38
    I would love to read a preview of your new play!  My kids love your plays!

Myndee Washington
    Music/ Drama Director
    Union Park Charter Academy
    Wesley Chapel, FL

• 7.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-07-2020 09:46
    I would love to see this as well! Thanks!

Amber Walter
    Centennial CO

• 8.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-07-2020 19:47
    Would ditto everyone's comments about previewing - actually one of the two shows we lost was The One-Act Play Disaster, which the kids loved so I'm sure they'd be excited about a back up by you!

Sharkey Andrews
    Teacher, Special Education | Artistic Director, Theatre
    DC Public Schools
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-07-2020 19:57
    Thanks to everyone for contributing here.
    Would like to take a look at a few Zoom shows/videos - please post links here for 
    recent productions.  Am looking at a couple scripts and would love to see
    sample shows on video.  Would love to find a piece that we can produce 
    on Zoom before our academic year is up!
    Best to everyone,
    Marc Raia
    Upper Theatre
    Seven Hills Schoo
    Cincinnati

• 10.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-20-2020 14:21
    Hi Don, 
    I'd love to read your script. Can you send me a link?  ckemmerer@stpaulsmd.org

Christina Kemmerer
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Brooklandville MD

• 11.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 05-16-2020 13:44
    @donzolidis

I would also love to see your 10 WAYS TO SURVIVE LIFE IN A QUARANTINE

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ
    StadtFamily@juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-05-2020 22:48
    Just to follow up on what Don said, Stage Partners is also creating plays to be done on zoom. They have a monologue play STRANDED: VIEWS FROM A QUARANTINE written by 21 contributing playwrights. You can read the whole script for free. Lesson plans and more plays will come from them soon too.

Playscripts, along with new and adapted plays for zoom, will be launching "how to guides" for staging plays on zoom like webinar. I did a zoom production/workshop of a new play I wrote BAD AUDITIONS... ON CAMERA. It was really fun and worked way better than I thought I would. You can watch the production here. I'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjLofon7Xv0  Happy to share any thoughts and insights I gained from my quickie zoom production.

I'll have a new play published at Playscripts for zoom on Tuesday as well and the weeks that follow as well. Happy to send any previews to anyone.

Ian McWethy
    Arlington VA

• 13.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-06-2020 10:55
    I would love to get your advice on a zoom production for my class. My 8th grade is rehearsing a production with me 3 hrs a week of Derek Benfields Beyond a Joke. We have 8 cast members and myself. We are zooming to rehearse. Thanks

Karen Fairbank
    Director, eighth grade play
    Thomas Jefferson School
    St. Louis MO

• 14.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-07-2020 06:43
    Enjoyed this version of Bad Auditions, Ian. 

Would love any previews as well.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 15.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-07-2020 11:47
    Thanks everyone for this helpful info! Don, I would enjoy reading the preview of your play if it is still available. Ian, thanks for sharing your performance. I would love to know any details you can share about putting together the production over Zoom. Thanks!

Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    Bethlehem CT

• 16.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-08-2020 12:40
    I'd love to get the previews Ian and Don! We were supposed to do Seussical and a bunch of seniors are leads. My school won't let us reschedule because we have a gym-atorium and no A/C so a summer show would be out and all the seniors would be graduated by the fall

Kelly Bourget
    Schererville IN

• 17.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-08-2020 13:39
    One more update.

So Playscripts new "live-screen" collection is now up. Right now there are four plays written exclusively for a zoom like platform by Don Zolidis, Kathryn Funkhouser, Jason Pizzarello, and myself. Each play appears to be up in their entirety, which is cool. No perusal copies needed.

At the end of each play is a 6 page DIRECTOR'S STARTER GUIDE which covers everything from ENTRANCES AND EXITS to VIRTUAL TALK BACKS to TICKETING. If there's anything else I can think to add about directing/producing for a zoom like platform, I'll put it up on my blog. But this is pretty extensive. So I may not.

Aaaaaand I believe there will be even more plays published in the next two weeks. I'm sure they'll email you!

So happy reading and good luck! 

Ian McWethy
    Los Angeles CA

• 18.  RE: Zoom productions

Posted 04-08-2020 13:40
    And here's the link! It's a little hard to find right now so....

https://www.playscripts.com/livescreen-theatre

Ian McWethy
    Los Angeles CA