Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-19-2018 22:12

I am looking to change our process and maybe put everything in writing so that I can back it up better. In doing so, I was just wondering what you charge for people to see plays and musicals at your schools. Do you charge different prices for One Acts than full plays? What discounts do you offer? What do parents pay if they come more than once? How is your "volunteers seeing the show" policy set up? What do you charge for concessions and what do you offer? 

I currently use this platform
    Plays (including one acts) and Musicals are the same.
    Advanced Adult Tickets (purchased online) $8.00
    Door Adult Tickets (purchased at the door): $10.00
    Advanced Students/Senior Citizens: $3.00
    Door Students/Senior Citizens: $5.00
    In the past I've used Brown Paper Tickets for the advance tickets.
    Board Members get in for Free (because that's what I was told happened)

As for concessions, we offer candies that can't easily melt or get stuck to the seats, popcorn, and sodas. Although, we aren't allowed to let anyone go into the auditorium with food or drink, with water being the exception. 

​​

------------------------------
    Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-20-2018 09:13
    Hello,
    I teach at a blue collar school surrounded by some more affluent high schools.
    Our district doesn't yet allow online ticket sales (we're working on it, though).
    So, we charge:

$6 in advance/$8 at the door for the musical and the play
    Our One Act Festival (which is all student-written work) is "free" to attend, but we really push donations.
    When we do a one act showcase, we charge $5/person and only sell tickets at the door.

I allow parents who volunteer that night to see the show for free.
    We give faculty, and school board members comp tickets.

We get all our concessions donated to us from drama parents.
    Sodas, waters, full-sized candy,and popcorn (new addition) are all $1 each piece.  

Other high schools in my area charge up to $15/ticket, but most hover around $10/ticket.  

Hope this helps,

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 3.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-20-2018 12:04
    Play ($8/$5 - student/senior)
    Musical ($12/$8)

we do a one-festival (4 one acts) - $5 general

we allow teachers/admin/BOE from entire district in for free

Concessions - we buy to resell.  all items (popcorn, candy, water) are $1 except for sodas are $1.50
    (however just informed that band sells sodas for $3 at football games)

do not do advanced or online sales *but use square for credit cards) - theater only holds 250 

one issue for this upcoming year - our admin wants to sell a "home" pass in which a student gets into all home events with the purchase of pass (sports, theater, concerts)  some of the sales will be given back to theater but I am not sure what that will do to our revenue.

Don Markham
    Theater Director
    Cleveland High School
    Cleveland TN

• 4.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-20-2018 17:32
    It is really area based.  What I charge seems like very little to some, and would be completely unreasonably high in other areas.

We are a poorer community, but we charge less than the schools surrounding us, so I feel ok with what we charge. 

Musicals - adults $12, Students/Seniors $8, Thespians and students from our own school are pay what you will
    Straight Shows-  Adults $10, Students/Seniors $7, Thespians and students from our own school are pay what you will
    Student Directed One Act Night - donation

This is slightly simplified over what we've done in the past; we used to do a price for students from our own school with ASB but have decided to try a new tactic to get more students to come, especially since we're a high poverty school.

This is the first year we're doing online ticket sales.  I'll probably offer a discount for purchasing online ahead of time, but I haven't decided what that will be.  $2, probably.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-21-2018 02:48
    Great topic.

We have a 935 seat theatre. Our ticket sales are listed below. We use VENDINI which allows for advance sales and CC orders. We do not charge more for at door sales.

We have the cast donate cookies and sodas for each production to resell in our concession stand. We also have popcorn and hotdogs.

We have a swag booth with theatre and show merchandise. We sell flowers and other trinkets. We also have professional photographs that we sell.

Adults $11
    Seniors $9
    Students $6

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-21-2018 10:34
    I teach in a private school. 

Our tickets are $12 for students, and $17 adults. One-acts are typically $10 for everyone. Sometimes we do lower prices for one-acts it really depends, but we've charged as little as $5. 

We use book tix for ticketing this year. For the most part I really like it. I like having actual tickets, and scanners at the door. I find the interface to be a bit clunky, and not the easiest to navigate. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 7.  RE: Ticket Prices for Your Shows...

Posted 06-22-2018 07:30
    I teach in an affluent, private, Jesuit school.  Our auditorium seats up to 300.  I charge $5 for students, $10 for adults for the play and $10 and $15 for the musical.  My first couple years I handled all the ticketing myself with physical tickets that our print shop made.  Last year, our database operations handled it, which was a lot of extra work for them, but practically none for me.  Those tickets were just a copy of the confirmation email and we had a spreadsheet at the door to check people in.  Next year we are looking into showtix4u to handle everything, because returns and switching nights and door sales were becoming a bit confusing. 
    Because we are a private school, closing night we are able to hold a cocktail reception prior to the show for donors, and parents, etc. can pay $50 per ticket, which gets them wine and hors d'oeuvres and a reserved seat (we are general admission otherwise, but i let my students reserve seats for their families on other nights).  This reception is donated by our Advancement Department.  All my concessions are donated and sold by parent volunteers.

Tobin Strader
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair,
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School,
    Indianapolis, IN