Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  CLUE

Posted 08-23-2019 09:24
    Doing CLUE auditions next week..super excited!

Those that have done it...

I'm thinking Wadsworth could be female? Anyone played a lady in that lead role? Kind of liking the idea?

Considering double casting? Anyone done that and how did it go?

Any clever, creative fun ideas to get more kids involved?

------------------------------
    Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

• 2.  RE: CLUE

Posted 08-24-2019 10:38
    I don't think it would be an issue.  But it depends if you are have a female play the character as a man, or as a woman.  If you would have her play the character as a woman, make sure you get permission from the licensing company first.  It does state on in their The Rules in Brief: "Do NOT alter the text of the Play, change a character's gender, delete any dialogue, cut any music, or alter any objectionable langugae, unless explicitly authorized by Broadway Licensing."

I just wouldn't want you to get into any trouble.

Justin Charles
    Theater Manager
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake IL

• 3.  RE: CLUE

Posted 08-24-2019 13:10
    We did CLUE last spring and it was a fantastically fun show!  Kept Wadsworth as a male, but double cast both Wadsworth and Yvette.  Did 6 performances so each actor performed in 3.  Worked great in rehearsals too as they could help each other with lines, experiment with different characterizations, and we still had one in case one was absent. 
    We also cast an Ensemble of 6 actors to play the Motorist, Cop, Singing Telegram, Reporter, & FBI agents as well as all the "dark figures".  With 6 performances, each of the 6 ensemble played a different role each night.  Gave them all a challenge to learn all roles, kept it fresh and new for the leads, and got more students involved.  Worked great!

Megan Myers
    Troupe/Theatre Director
    Brownsburg IN

• 4.  RE: CLUE

Posted 08-24-2019 18:50
    I am doing this show in the spring. The cast is smaller than shows I typically do, so I'm planning on getting way more students involved as stage hands than I regularly do. Since the setting is very important and the scene shifts so much to so many different rooms, my (not fully fleshed out) idea is to have the set basically be another character in the show. Keeping the pace fast with really quick and dynamic set changes facilitated by an army of tech crew I think would be quite fun, especially when they change so quickly. Those students will get to feel like they are almost a part of the set itself, and therefore another character, having a larger impact on the show than simply moving pieces around.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 5.  RE: CLUE

Posted 08-27-2019 14:00
    Our school performed CLUE!   last fall and it was a fabulously fun show.   I double cast the show and many of my characters were played by females, they rose to the challenge and they did a fantastic job!     I remind my students that in Shakespeare's time men played all the roles... so... Why not?   I did contact the licensing company about changing the genders of ANY of the characters and we were not allowed to change any.    I had an AMAZING female butler... we pulled her hair back and put on a mustache.   I had a male and female Col. Mustard, Mr. Plum, and both of my Mr. Green's were females.    Double casting served us well.

We have a small stage so we came up with some creative ways to establish all the different rooms.   We have a rolling wall and two 9 foot flats with benches on one side, so we flipped those around, and used a door frame mounted on a square to pivot and rotate.   We turned an open ended chest on it's side, put it on wheels and had the maid fall out of that for the broom closet.  We even had the players run off stage and out doors.   It was great to challenge myself and students to think outside the box.  The stage crew had a great time building the bodies...  We had some styrofoam heads and created other faces by using small balloons and making them in to paper ache... Get started early.   It is a labor of love... and so worth it!

Have Fun!
    Stacie Graves
    RHS

Stacie Graves
    Drama Department
    Ramstein HS, Germany
    gypsymoon313@gmail.com