Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-20-2017 14:37
    Anyone have any good suggestions for a Shakespeare piece to use in a monologue unit for an 8th grade boy? He's incredibly advanced, and I want to challenge him with some harder material. Thank you!

--
    Joan Schubin
    Hopewell Valley Regional School District
    Timberlane Middle School
    Performing Arts

NOTICE: This confidential message is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is rightfully addressed. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message in its entirety. Please note: All communication with HVRSD staff members may be subject to public disclosure as per the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and monitoring if necessary.

• 2.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-21-2017 09:41
    Have you looked at the options from the English Speaking Union? They've got the speeches they accept (which are already pre-cut) and they also have a link for the sonnets as well. Here's a link to the page that has everything

https://www.esuus.org/esu/programs/shakespeare_competition/about/2018docsandforms/

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-21-2017 10:48
    Shira beat me to it, as I was going to suggest the ESU option.  Go to the link she sent and check those out.  If your student is that advanced, I would give him the link also and tell him to use that piece next year, when he will be eligible to compete.

The way it works is (at high school) there is an in-house competition, then the winner from that represents your school at the branch competition in March.  The winner from that goes to NYC in April and the winner from that is awarded money and tuition at a notable conservatory that teaches English.  

This year I am coordinating our local competition in San Francisco where, last year, our winner won in NYC!

Good luck!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    Troup 5596, I.T.S.
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 4.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-22-2017 12:17
    I also support the ESU site. It has a great list of monologues and some are not ones we always hear.

In addition, OUR contestant came in second!

I think the ESU is a great organization and some branches offer scholarships to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. Our chapter annually sends 3-5 scholars to England to study. I was able to spend 3 weeks at The Globe and perform on the Globe stage. Join your local branch!
    Check out your local branch:  Branches - ESU English in Action
    Esuus remove preview
    Branches - ESU English in Action
    English In Action Andrew Romay New Immigrant Center National Shakespeare Competition TLab Middle School Debate Luard Morse Scholarships Secondary School Exchange Walter Hines Page Scholarship International Public Speaking Competition
    View this on Esuus >

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-21-2017 11:04
    The monologue list provided will be very helpful to you. I had a few thoughts:

Sebastian: "this is the Air..."  12th Night

Edmund: Act 1 sc 2 (Bastard speech) King Lear 

Berowne: Act 3 sc 1 Love's Labours Lost

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 6.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-21-2017 13:00

Hotspur:  Henry IV-1, Act I-3, "My liege, I did deny no prisoners."

Puck: A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act III-2, "My mistress with a monster is in love."
            This is Puck re-enacting Titania falling in love with Bottom

Puck: A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act V-1, "If we shadows have offended,"

Hope this helps

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: Shakespeare Monologue/Sonnet for 8th Grade

Posted 12-22-2017 16:38

Some fun monologue options I haven't seen on any list yet:

Comedy of Errors: Antipholous Act V monologue that begins with "My liege, I am advised what I say..." 

Love's Labors Lost: Berowne's "Come  on then, I will swear to study so..."

Much Ado About Nothing: Benedick's "This can be no trick..."

Merchant of Venice: Shylock's "If it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge..."

Break a leg!
    Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com