Open Forum

View Only

Musicals BY women

• 1.  Musicals BY women

Posted 02-26-2018 14:27
    Just to take a slightly different angle on our frequent search for musicals with lots of women, throw out your favorite musicals BY women (music, lyrics, or book) that might work in a high school theatre program. Bonus points for suggestions off the beaten path.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 06:52
    Not exactly off the beaten path at all but I do think Legally Blonde has a great message of empowerment for young women, and it's by a husband and wife duo of Laurence O'Keefe and Nell Benjamin.

For more obscure, female centric gems written by women, the musical Violet but Jeanine Tesori is one of the great composer's best. 

But if I'm truly going to give my favorite female centric (and young woman empowering) musical, also by a male and female team I'd go with The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown by Kaite Kerrigan and Brian Lowdermilk. I love this piece!

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 3.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 07:26
    No bonus points for me, as this is pretty standard fare when it comes to school shows, but there's always Once Upon a Mattress with music by Mary Rogers.

And, course, there's the body of work with lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, including Seussical, Once on This Island, and Ragtime.  My favorite of the Flaherty/Ahrens bunch is A Man of No Importance, which is maybe less school friendly, but is a show I directed and loved in community theatre.  There's also Schoolhouse Rock Live!

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 14:29
    Fun Home gets bonus points for being written and composed by women, Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron, and based on a graphic novel by a woman, Alison Bechdel.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 07:30
    Quilters and The Secret Garden

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 14:54
    So many great suggestions!  I have done Legally Blonde and Quilters in my small high school, and they were two of my <g class="gr_ gr_184 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="184" data-gr-id="184">favorites</g>.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 7.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-28-2018 08:27
    Last year we did the The Secret Garden-Pioneer Version. Songs are different, some characters are smaller like Father & Uncle. Very good version with a recognizable name.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 07:52
    I give her a shout-out every chance I get.  Check out Mary Hall Surface. Fantastic, beautiful, child-friendly magical realism, type shows. She and composer David Maddox definitely have a style of their own.  I have done Perseus Bayou (won us a state competition) and Sing Down the Moon (super popular with a huge range of ages, my four year old is still singing the songs). She also does cast recording that are available for sale on Amazon, great for previewing. Most are available for licensing through Dramatic Publishing. Some I think you have to contact her.
    Publications
    Maryhallsurface remove preview
    Publications
    Mary Hall has published more than 15 plays, two books of monologues for middle school students and three national award winning original cast albums.
    View this on Maryhallsurface >

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 9.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 09:14
    I second a lot of these recs, and would mention Thoroughly Modern Millie from Tesori as well. Also: I have recently been listening to Shaina Taub's As You Like It and find it very charming. There is also Bubbly Black Girl Shess Her Chamelion Skin. 

There are also a number of golden age shows that have female writers (Kiss Me Kate, On The Town, once Upon a Mattress). 

Fyi: Samantha Brown is now The Mad Ones. 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 10.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 10:06
    Runaways (Elizabeth Swados) and The Secret Garden!

Becca Lillias

• 11.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-27-2018 11:25
    Dear Edwina by Zina Goldrich and Marcy Heisler.  It's a ton of fun and easy to stage.  It's only an hour long, so would be perfect for outreach or summer camps.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 12.  RE: Musicals BY women

Posted 02-28-2018 08:42
    "Sympathy Jones"  shout out to composer and lyricist Masi Asari one of our very own Thespian Alums. Book by Brooke Pierce.
    Published by Playscripts
    This is the story of a young woman who dreams of being a star...a star spy, that is. Sympathy Jones is a spunky receptionist at a New York City intelligence agency who studies Indonesian martial arts in her spare time and is constantly angling for a promotion, to the amusement of the manly spies who inhabit her 1960s world. When a top-secret file is accidentally left on her desk she seizes the opportunity to embark on an adventure of her own, and in the process discovers that daring to save the world against impossible odds is not nearly as glamorous as she thought it would be.  Even the best spies need some help from their friends along the way.http://sympathyjones.com/

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA