Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater director notebook

Posted 04-03-2017 01:30
    Hi everyone.  I'm trying to purchase a director's notebook that provides suggestions from pre audition work to opening night.  I will create my own notebook.  I will glue each page of my script to each blank page of my notebook.  That is for blocking and ideas.  But I need much more guidance to keep my project moving in the right direction.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

------------------------------
    Paul Howl
    Sagamihara Kanagawa

• 2.  RE: Theater director notebook

Posted 04-03-2017 10:13
    Sounds like a marketable idea! You have found a niche; exploit it! I don't know if there's anything quite like what you describe for theatre directing, though I'd love to know if such a thing exists. There is something similar that Jim Burke does for English teachers (a daily planner of sorts with all sorts of great ideas for teaching English and such), but what a wonderful idea to create something like this for theatre teachers!

I'm a go work on this and create something. Gimme a couple of months. Unless someone has already done one.
    There are a lot of books of theatre directing that could give you ideas about how to stay on track or what's essential, I like 'A Sense of Direction' by William Ball, 'Tips: Ideas for Directors' by Jon Jory, and personal favorite Braham Murray 'How to Direct a Play: A Master Class in Comedy....etc'. Also, Gai Jones 'Raising the Curtain' has some useful tips and ideas about this subject too.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Theater director notebook

Posted 04-04-2017 05:40
    Can't go wrong with Clurman's On Directing, too. Great ideas for a director's prep.

Sent from my iPad