Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater Manager Stipend

Posted 11-28-2018 10:51

Greetings all,
    We just moved in to a brand-spanking new school this year, and I have a new theater that is AWESOME!!! It's everything I ever wanted in a theater and more. The powers that be love the theater also and want to show it off, which is great. They also want to open it up to the community for usage... which is okay, but there really isn't in ground rules in place or infrastructure for how and when it is used.  My tech crew and myself are about the only folk who really know the ins and outs of the theater, so it's just expected that we take care of it... for free... 
    We need a theater manager (we do not have a TD) who will oversee all usage and organize the tech folk to work events (for payment). I willing to be that manager, but this goes above and beyond my duties. I am going to suggest a stipend be given to me as the theater manager. Any idea as to how much I should ask for said stipend? 
    Thanks in advance,
    MAX

------------------------------
    Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 2.  RE: Theater Manager Stipend

Posted 11-28-2018 11:12
    If you haven't already done so, I would suggest writing up a good solid job description first, including both what the duties are and what they're not, how many hours are expected, and similar issues, and then plugging an hourly rate into it. Use this as your contract with the higher ups (and it may need some negotiating). I've read about a lot of problems with similar jobs here, where the expectations and assumptions on both sides turned out to be different, and you don't need that.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Theater Manager Stipend

Posted 11-29-2018 10:32
    I completely agree with the idea of writing the job description. Very important.

Currently, my job is pretty much what you describe: I manage the auditorium and my student staff. We provide the technical assistance for all events that happen in our space, anything from local community theatre rental to shareholder meetings for local businesses. My staff runs the lights, sound, and anything on stage during the rehearsals and performances. Most of the events are school events - awards ceremonies, large student meeting with deans or colleges, and band and choir concerts.

As for pay, my rate is part of the collective bargaining agreement with the school system. I have one rate for school-related events and a different rate for rentals by "outside groups," such as local businesses or community groups. The student staff makes minimum wage. E-mail me if you want to know the actual rates. welshk@bcsc.k12.in.us.

Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus IN

• 4.  RE: Theater Manager Stipend

Posted 11-29-2018 10:49
    I get a stipend for running the theater for in house groups, such as chorus and band. For outside groups - the middle school and groups who rent the auditorium, I get paid hourly by the group. Is this something that would work for your situation?

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Theater Manager Stipend

Posted 11-29-2018 13:24
    I have worked at 2 different schools, one where I was the theatre manager on a stipend  (and was the TD as well for the productions) and my current, there are 2 full time managers, plus a full time TD (me) for the productions.  Job description is number one,  and along with that, knowing/estimating what the expected TIME required for that position should be. (including set up, the actual events, tear down, scheduling, maintenance) 
    In my experience, once it is a stipend it is very hard to get it moved to a full time job, even when it is needed. Stipends do not allow for growth, where starting as a "part time" position can allow for that.
    But agreed that a position solely dedicated to the space is needed if the school wants it to be run and maintained for years to come.

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL