Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Still Life With Iris Illusions

Posted 11-01-2017 05:45
    Hi All, I am about three weeks away from the opening of Still Life With Iris. Though I have emailed and called multiple times the magician listed in the script who created the illusions - no reply. So. Those who have done it before - how did you do the flower and the lightning bolt illusions?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 2.  RE: Still Life With Iris Illusions

Posted 11-02-2017 07:58
    I did that show about 15 years ago. The magician did respond back, but the quote was extremely high. I seem to remember it being tens of thousands of dollars. I was stunned. 

We did all kinds of imaginative staging to solve the problems. It worked fine and the audience seemed to enjoy the show. It really is fun story.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    913-481-1868

• 3.  RE: Still Life With Iris Illusions

Posted 11-02-2017 11:48
    Jeffery, We did the show a couple of years ago and went very simple the the illusions.  For the flowers i went to a magic shop and got some trick flowers that could be pulled from up the actors sleeve.  You could probably find them online as well.
    For the Lighting effect, I got some very long flexible tie downs, which you can get at a hardware store, they come in different sizes and colors.  I got four of the longest ones I could find in yellow. Then I attached a string of small LED lights that the actor could control with a switch in hand.  It allowed the actor to make a different shape each day by bending the tie downs and the LED lights were very bright so it looked like lighting.
    For a children's theatre audience there were lots of oohs and aahs.

Stewart Hawk
    Garfield Theatre Department Chair
    Washington State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    206-252-2408
    sthawk@seattleschools.org
    http://www.garfieldstage.org/
    http://washingtonstatethespians.com/