Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play recommendations please

Posted 02-22-2018 08:13
    Hi - I have a very small group of 13. Three are seniors and 2 of those are my only boys. So next year I will have 10 sophomores to work with, all girls, and very immature. 

We will have a newly renovated space and little in terms of funding. In the reno our entire room of costumes was tossed (insert anguished cry here) and what physical props and sets we were able to keep had to fit in one POD. We drained our funds to put on a traveling show this year (read no income) so we will be borrowing to put this on. Hopefully, we will make enough to cover it and have some left over.  

Anyway, I am looking for an all female play for 6-8 girls. I have a few much older plays but doubt the audience draw of them. Ideally something that is free of fees but has a recognizable name. 

Also, I am hoping to borrow a copy of The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-on-the-Moon Marigolds from someone. I have never read it/seen it but it looks promising. Can someone here help me out?

Thanks!

Kati

• 2.  RE: Play recommendations please

Posted 02-22-2018 10:01
    Take a look at "Salem's Daughters" by Craig Sodaro (Pioneer Drama). 

If you're willing to try to really push them there are a couple of good one acts you could take a look like "Iphigenia and Other Daughter's" by Ellen McLaughlin or "Will" by Lila Louise Nawrocki. Both are available through Playscripts

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Play recommendations please

Posted 02-23-2018 07:38
    We did Salem's Daughters 2 years ago.

Kati Heintzman
    Thespian Advisor
    Middletown City Schools
    Middletown OH

• 4.  RE: Play recommendations please

Posted 02-23-2018 11:42
    Could you write your own, or adapt something in the public domain? 
    If you did an original show aimed at young audiences, maybe you could publicize to your elementary schools and build up audiences.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Play recommendations please

Posted 02-23-2018 12:15
    The Effect of Gamma Rays has a total of 4 characters, one of whom does not speak.  The mother is pretty profane.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Play recommendations please

Posted 02-23-2018 14:16
    12 Angry Jurors. You have two boy scripts for the mail characters and 10 of the female script for the female cast members. I have done this three times at three schools and every one was very different!

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School