Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Revue Type Production

Posted 10-01-2018 12:17
    Hi y'all! I have a unique situation (I think) and am needing some help on brainstorming...
    I have been approached by my administration this year to establish a "performance group" that will tackle musical numbers as well as skits/scenes. I was told it needed to incorporate more than just singing, that it will not be a "choir." 
    Okay....

So for performances, I've been thinking about looking into some sort of revue. Are there sources out there that provide such a production with scene work and musical numbers? It can be anywhere from solos to small ensembles to group numbers, that is actually preferred. I'm having a hard time finding anything/finding a starting point that still abides by copyrights and such...

From a newbie, any insight/suggestions are MUCH appreciated! Thank you so much!!

------------------------------
    Kelli Jo Henderson
    Drama Director
    Bonner Springs KS

• 2.  RE: Revue Type Production

Posted 10-02-2018 08:58
    Kelli,

My question is, what do they want the group to do? Where and when would they perform? It sounds a bit like they want a devised theater group. I just responded to another thread with this. I had an invitation-only group on campus called, "The Drama Queens." We would do devised theater/movement/song pieces around campus based on different themes depending on the event. If you do this, and write your own devised script with your students, I think copyright issues are simple.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 3.  RE: Revue Type Production

Posted 10-02-2018 09:09
    I think this can be tricky. If you are just singing the song with some basic choreography you can buy the sheet music and go to town.

If you plan to use spoken lines from the show, wear costumes related to the show, act out any scenes, that is a whole different ball game. This is not typically permitted.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Revue Type Production

Posted 10-02-2018 12:09
    One of my favorite is an oldie, but a goodie....No Frills Revue.  

From the MTI site: Conceived by director/lyricist Martin Charnin (Annie), The No-Frills Revuestakes its cue from the brilliantly sardonic topical revues of the 1950s, employing original songs, sketches, a small cast and a trio of musicians in an hilarious all-out assault on the world as we know it: onomatopoetic names; the terrors of a high school reunion; extravagant rock concert benefits for obscure causes; ginsu knives; obligatory tap numbers; people who go through the ten-item express lane with twenty; and some intriguing "first drafts" of well-known musicals, including Annie as written by Stephen Sondheim and Jerry Herman's West Side Story.

You can search for Revues on the MTI website - they have quite a few to choose from.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Revue Type Production

Posted 10-03-2018 08:11

There are quite a few arrangements of reviews that are typically used for choral groups/ show choirs.  Check out JW Pepper.  Add the filters for "Pop, Stage and Screen" and "Show Choir".  They also have tracks available.  Most are between 5 and 20 minutes.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 6.  RE: Revue Type Production

Posted 10-03-2018 08:17
    Just a note of caution on the Choral Medley reviews through JWPepper and other music publishers.  Many of them state that you may not add any costumes or stage it like a production, etc....  Some even state that you may not add choreography.  In most cases you can see the copyright page online to be sure what you are buying will meet your needs.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO