Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-20-2019 11:51
    Hello, theatre folks,

We're having a ball working on Peter and the Starcatcher. I know that a lot of you have done this show. What did you do about Molly and Aster's glowing amulet? I have found lots of glow-in-the-dark battery operated necklaces, but none with on-off switches. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks.

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 2.  RE: Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-21-2019 06:51
    We beaded an amulet while sewing in battery operated fairy lights. The base was craft mesh/woven plastic we cut into a circle, and then our students designed a bead pattern (that was star inspired).

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 3.  RE: Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-22-2019 08:07
    We bought LED collar lights for dogs and attached them to necklaces students made from yarn. It was inexpensive and worked great.

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-23-2019 07:51
    I would send a photo, but our Peter props are rented out. 
    I disassembled a metal belt that had large, square pieces for the amulets then bought cheap gold chains from the craft department of WalMart. I ordered the lights from Amazon (below) and attached the lights to the back of the amulets with spike tape. There is a switch to turn on the lights and our actors were able to use them easily. The batteries lasted through many rehearsals and performances.   

Have fun! It's a great show!
    ~Betsie

Confidentiality Statement: This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-22-2019 08:54
    Hi,
    We used a seashell based design amulet that was illuminated by a small focusing led flashlight held by by an actor crouching downstage of the starcatcher.  Check Amazon I think you can get a pack of two them for less than $14. 
    We also found fingertip led lights in bulk for a great effect in one of the songs and to "fly" the future Tinkerbell in the last scene. 

This is a lovely show.

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina High School
    Edina MN

• 6.  RE: Peter/Starcatcher question

Posted 09-23-2019 08:48
    Thank you, all!  These are such creative ideas. I'm going to play around with them to find what works best for our production. (This is why I love this forum.)

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA