Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troupe Officer/Drama Club Officer

Posted 01-30-2018 21:34
    Hello! I currently hold the officer position of Vice President for my high school theatre troupe, and I need some assistance from this community. I was curious if anyone had knowledge of any posts or files that include information on either removing an officer position from a troupe or not allowing someone to run for office for illegitimate reasons. My fellow officers and I are worried that our position of publicist may be removed from our officer positions, as well as our treasurer not being able to run for president for the upcoming school year because our Troupe Director simply does not want him to. If someone could provide me with some legitimate information on my concerns I would greatly appreciate this since I am trying to resolve a conflict within our troupe at the moment with my president on whether or not something like this is stated in an official rulebook. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Devan Groblebe

• 2.  RE: Troupe Officer/Drama Club Officer

Posted 01-31-2018 10:38
    Hello, Devan

Student leadership is an important part of the Thespian experience for most ITS troupes, but affiliated schools are not required to have troupe officers. Schools that do choose to have troupe officers may adopt their own procedures for electing, appointing, managing, and removing them. The troupe handbooks and troupe constitution template suggest ways for incorporating student officers into a well-organized troupe, but it's up to each troupe to develop a system that works best for its own unique program and culture. That includes incorporating school-specific guidelines governing student leadership.  ITS does ask that troupes document their local policies and procedures in the form of a troupe constitution.

If there are questions about how a troupe is being managed, the troupe handbooks provide guidelines for addressing student or parent concerns.

If there's anything I can help you with, please feel free to contact me by email at members@schooltheatre.org

Thank You,

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association