Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-09-2018 10:20
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice. We are currently working on "The Little Mermaid."  The student who is playing Chef Louis was suspended for ten days.  Having never dealt with this, I asked our administration what to do and they said he could no longer do the show.  This is where things get tricky. 

His mother is one of the band directors at our school who I have developed a good relationship with. He is a troubled young man with a very intense past. She is upset that he is getting pulled from all activities in addition to his suspension. 

From the beginning, I have said that he could stay involved with the show as a production assistant.  If you've had these issues arise, I am looking for any and all advice on how to handle this. Do you think it would be ok to have him in the ensemble? 

Thank you. I really appreciate any and all advice. 

------------------------------
    Corey Ragan
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Groveport Madison High School
    Groveport, OH

• 2.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-09-2018 10:36
    I just want to make sure I'm understanding the situation. In addition to the suspension, and beyond the assigned suspended time, he is not allowed to continue to work with the production? How long does your school/district allow punitive measures to continue beyond suspension? Is there a set policy regarding an issue like this? And, more importantly, do you agree with the suspension and continuing punitive measures (considering the infraction)? The only reason I ask is it sounds like you want to go to bat to keep the student involved and you need to be confident in your choice.

Ultimately, you're going to have to follow your district or school policy regarding this issue. If there isn't one then your admin will get the final say. If it remains that he cannot participate at all, at least you can talk to the mom and let her know that you checked into the policy but are limited by your admin. 

If the mom is unhappy with the situation it is really up to her to bring her concerns to admin or the district. You can offer to allow the student to continue working with the show but you are limited to that. Anything more is really going to have to come from the student's parents.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Situations like this are always hard.

Sorry if this is a little rambling... I guess I need more coffee...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-10-2018 08:19
    What a tough spot to be in! These activities could be the thing that leads this child out of the dark place he is in or at the very least helps him.  I always ask my administration what the protocol for athletes are, as they tend to have the most structure set up when it comes to these types of situations. I never ask in a manner that seems confrontational, but want the administration to know that Theatre is just as important to my students lives as athletics are to other students. They now keep me aware of students who have failing grades and I follow the policies set in place for those situations.

I truly hope this students is able to continue in some form or fashion.

Laura Beeman Nugent
    Theatre Teacher
    Loyola College Prep Troupe 6829
    Artistic Director
    Shreveport Little Theatre Academy
    Shreveport, LA

• 4.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-10-2018 09:59
    Check your school and district handbook. I've written two and become extremely well versed in our most recent for a variety of reasons. There should be some kind of chart that spells out what actions equal what consequences. I've never seen "drop from all activities" on top of a suspension. Instead maybe. I would understand not participating while suspended. As for the mom, she needs to accept whatever the district says. You can't risk your job for a friendship.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 5.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-12-2018 09:06
    In our district, a 10-day suspension is only for very serious infractions such as drugs and weapons.  There is always a disciplinary hearing to determine if a student will be allowed back to school after a 10-day suspension.  Often they are not.  When they are, there is almost always an automatic 180 days out of all non-curricular activities.  That not only includes participating in sports, musical, etc, but even going to games, dances, or shows.  I'd clarify what your district policies are so that you don't make a decision that you then have to change.  

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Drama and English Teacher
    Theatre Program Director
    VHSL One-Act & Forensics Coach

• 6.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-10-2018 12:00
    depending on when your show is up, if he's served his suspension, then he should be allowed to continue with show.
    One punishment is enough. Often these kids that have issues NEED what we provide. I've had kids suspended... They miss rehearsals during suspension, but resume once they're  finished. I don't take their role away. For many of my kids, shows are required as part of advanced classes... So you can't take away to curriculum.
    Good luck. I would argue for the kid.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 7.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-11-2018 09:46
    My advice: Replace the role and let him remain in the ensemble. If you choose to fight for the student's return to the role as the chef, you could set up a precedent that could hurt your program in the long run.  By keeping him in the ensemble, you serve both the student and your program as a whole.  Also, be careful about using the argument "What if the student was a star athlete ... ?"  If you have the time, my reasoning is spelled out below:

I deal with this often. Sadly.  We are a Title 1 school and we have more than our fair share of At-Risk students.  Often these kids make the mistake of assuming that since theatre is fun, rules don't matter.  Sometimes they get into trouble outside of our program.  A few times, I've turned them in, myself.  Yes, it hurt the show, but it was the right thing to do.

Whether a struggling freshman in the ensemble or a straight-A senior with the musical lead, kids across the spectrum have been bounced out of school/show.  Everyone must adhere to the same rules.

Sometimes it happens early and we can quickly replace them.  Twice, it occurred during tech-week.  Not fun, but necessary.  I don't cast understudies (too hard to rehearse one cast, let alone two).  However, on the first-read thru, I explain that EVERY performer is a Swing and, if necessary can be replaced or be the replacement.  In every show, there's always a handful of kids that take this seriously enough to learn on their own.  The few times it was necessary, I was able to replace leads with one of these kids.  It both terrified and unified the entire cast.

While suspending kids from theatre is a pain and seems unfair in comparison to sports, I choose not to take up that fight.  The arts and athletics have more in common than most realize and I choose to focus on our commonalities.  One reason that our program continues to grow is that our we work with the Athletic department on event planning, resources, and "sharing" students.  By advocating/helping each other in this way, it's a win-win for everyone.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 8.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-11-2018 16:37
    Corey,

This is a difficult situation to be in and I think a number of factors need to be taken into consideration. 

1. Remember that whether you like it or not you are setting precedence for future such situations. I am doubtful that no other students know about this student being suspended, and since that is likely the case, they will know if you allow him to stay in the show, that they can't be punished in that way either. Because the student is a colleague's child it's even more sensitive, since if you allow him to stay, and not someone else, it really becomes an even bigger issue. What I mean is, think about the bigger picture of the program and make sure whatever decision you make, you are prepared to stick with it. 

2. Over the past 12+ years our troupe has encountered a lot of these types of issues. Unless the school policy is that the student can no longer participate in any extra-curricular activities, and/or unless your troupe's by-laws or a student/parent contract for your show restrict students who have serious disciplinary infractions from participation in your theatre activities, you really can't stop the student's opportunity to participate. Use the text of these documents to inform your decision. That's an easy way to be consistent. If you want different options in the future, then influence change in those documents (school rules, troupe by-laws, show contract,...).

3. Really consider exactly how you will address the situation, whatever you decide, with the student, their parent, and your cast/crew. It's important not to talk about another student's personal information with the cast/crew, but you will have to inform them if changes in casting are taking place. Plan and prepare what you want to say to each party involved and have another teacher or, better yet, an administrator review it.

4. Sit down with an administrator before you do anything and make sure that you understand their intentions and expectations for both you and your reaction to this situation. It's possible you aren't privy to the full story of what happened to the student, which may be influencing an administrators directive that you drop the student from the show. There may be an issue of safety that goes beyond what you are aware of or the administrator may have already spoken to the child and/or their parents about dropping the show being part of the punishment or action plan for the future success of the student. Get on the same page as your administration before you move forward. 

Sorry for a lengthy response, but this is a sticky situation and it won't be the last time this comes up I'm sure.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 9.  RE: Suspended Student- Advice

Posted 02-12-2018 08:38
    Good morning everyone! 

Thank you for all of your responses.  As a third year teacher, I greatly appreciate having the opportunity to look to all of you for help! After speaking to our administration, there was a misunderstanding with what I was asking.  They thought that I was asking if he could rehearse on suspension, which he obviously can't.  But, after asking again, the decision for his status in the show post suspension was ultimately up to me.  So, I decided to allow him to stay in the ensemble and serve as a production assistant on the show. 

Thank you again for all of your answers!  This was the first time that I've had an issue like this arise, and I feel much more able to handle something like this moving forward! 

Corey Ragan
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Groveport Madison High School
    Groveport, OH