Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Service Projects

Posted 10-08-2018 13:56
    WHat kind of service projects have troupes done that relate to theatre?

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Service Projects

Posted 10-09-2018 03:13
    We have assisted with:
    Local elementary school judging for acts, mcs
    Face painting for elementary school carnival
    Storytelling and facepainting for events of local children's book store.
    MAKEUP for local middle school productions
    Assisting local dance studio with make-up
    Assisting local group with extras and such for film project

• 3.  RE: Service Projects

Posted 10-09-2018 08:08
    We did a toy drive in connection with our production of Annie, Jr. When we advertised, we included that anyone who  brought a toy would get a free treat of their choice from the concessions table. We got a LOT of toys...several boxes that we were able to donate to Toys for Tots.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 4.  RE: Service Projects

Posted 10-09-2018 16:36

Oh! I have ideas!

My background is in youth volunteer non-profits, and I think that there is a lot of opportunity for service projects. Here is an idea I am going to explore this year:
    A social event for senior citizens-have a sock hop or a USO dance, and have students research acts of the time (think perhaps a Vaudeville variety show..."Who's on First?" perhaps.) 
    I am thinking that this type of event in my community could involve dance, theatre, and music students. It would be a very large scale undertaking, but I think a worthwhile event for a population that tends to be pretty underserved. 

When I worked in the non-profit sector, I did a similar event, a senior citizen birthday party, since many senior at the time had grown up in the midst of the depression. We were granted donations from several local businesses (not money-items like cakes/centerpieces for the tables etc) and pulled off a very large event for ZERO dollars. 

Another idea is something that my school does, put on by our SADD group. They host a "Hallowed Halls" event, where businesses or individuals take over a classroom in the high school and decorate and distribute candy. It is an indoor trick-or-treating, and over a thousand kids go through the halls each year. Students construct a haunted hallway in one part of the school for older kids, and in the past we have presented a short show as well. 

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 5.  RE: Service Projects

Posted 10-10-2018 12:45
    Thank you for your ideas. One of my students is an RTO member for the NOrtheastern Festival and is charged with developing a community service project.  For the last three years we have been a relay for life team and have raised funds for cancer. Last year we performed a one act that we devised for the relay for life event at our local fairgrounds.
    Cathy