Open Forum

View Only

purchasing

• 1.  purchasing

Posted 12-12-2016 12:45

​I am looking for any ideas of how other schools do purchasing for the Performing Arts Department. We are in need of an update and I will gladly take any input on your procedures, especially from other private schools.​ How do you buy things?

--

E'Dawn Severance 
    Theatre & Dance Instructor
    Performing & Visual Arts Co-Department Chair

The Meadows School
    8601 Scholar Lane, Las Vegas, NV 89128

(702) 254-1610

• 2.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 06:06
    I work at a private school. I usually order things with the school credit card. As long as I stay within my budget it's fine. Small things like makeup or the occasional prop I buy myself and am reimbursed by check.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-14-2016 07:46

Hello,

In response to purchasing, I have to turn in a purchase order request for everything and purchases are made through the school treasurer.  Of course, there are always items that are easier for me to purchase and then be reimbursed for later.  However, there is a slight problem with that.  By law,  the school is not allowed to reimburse sales tax, so if I purchase something, I am only reimbursed for the actual cost.  As a result, I am careful as to how much I purchase on my own.  Something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps,

Ken Robinson

------------------------------
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 4.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 07:39

There are a couple of white I do it. If it's something small and cost, then I purchase it myself and I get reimbursed from the school. If it's a larger amount then I usually will have the company send me an invoice with our purchase order number on it. I give the purchase order to our accounts payable and the school pays the company.

Erica Davidson
    Theatre Teacher
    Jackson TN

• 5.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 08:02

I have a department credit card that I carry with me for all purchases. Our system will not do reimbursements. If I need to pay someone who isn't set up to take a credit card, they can do a PO, but it's not the preferred option. 

I just have to stay within  my budget, and alert her ahead of time regarding any large expenses.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 13:20
    At our school (public) I use a combination of purchase-card and purchase order. Most of my purchases are done with a credit card attached to my school bank account.  I have to review the statement monthly and provide receipts.

For purchases over $1000 I go through our district's purchase order system.

Josh Belk

Director of Theatre
    Bear Necessity Theatre Company
    at Palmer Ridge High School
    (719) 867 8102

Membership Chairman
    Colorado Alliance of
    Technical Theatre Educators
    info@catte.org

• 7.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 13:47

Everyone in our school system has to have three quotes for the item from three different sources that could reasonably be expected to have the item, then we have to submit a purchase request, after approval a PO# is issued or a checkis issued if that is what's needed. The PO# or check is taken to the source and the item is purchased. If the source does not accept PO# (many don't) then a check is used. BUT if the price of the item has changed you have to go back, start over and have a new check issued. 

It's a ridiculous system. Many merchants, JoAnn's Fabrics in particular, will not set up an account and will not accept PO#. I go there, get the price of the fabric I need, return with a check and SURPRISE! the fabric is now on sale and the check amount is too much! Very school unfriendly. 

OK, I"ve vented. Only three more days until Xmas Break!!!  15 teachable hours!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-20-2016 03:45

Many merchants, JoAnn's Fabrics in particular, will not set up an account and will not accept PO#. I go there, get the price of the fabric I need, return with a check and SURPRISE! the fabric is now on sale and the check amount is too much!

<a href=https://www.schooltheatre.org/communitylanding/network/members/profile/?UserKey=e5a8a1f1-02a3-4855-bb4d-ec9fa556475c biobubblekey=e5a8a1f1-02a3-4855-bb4d-ec9fa556475c target=_blank>John Perry</a>,  6 days ago

Or, my favorite, you go with the check and surprise! they don't have the fabric anymore.

We have 4 ways we do purchases

1. Open PO.  It's basically the school giving me a line of credit at a vendor.  I usually do this with Lowe's and our local lighting place.  I give them the PO when I pick up my product, they send a bill and our bookkeeper pays it.  I just have to make sure I keep track of how much I spend so I don't go over the amount of the PO.  If/when I use it all, I can get a new PO.
    2. Specific PO.  If there's a place I know we're only going once that year (as opposed to Lowe's where I swear I'm there at least once a week), or a very specific purchase, I get the price, ask our bookkeeper for a PO for that specific item(s)/price, and then I can purchase with that PO.
    3. Similar to 2, but no PO needed.  Some places will just write an invoice for us, which I turn in and our bookkeeper pays.  Not many places will do this though.  This is mostly for our scripts, rights, etc.
    4. I purchase and get reimbursed.  And honestly, this is probably 95% of our purchases. Places like Goodwill, Michael's, and JoAnn Fabrics won't take POs and they certainly won't write an invoice, so the easiest way is to just pay it and get reimbursed.  It sucks if the check is slow getting out (or, as happened one year, if our bookkeeper is sick for an extended time so no one can write the checks), but most of the time it works well.
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 9.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-13-2016 18:20

As the Theatre Manager at our school I have my own budget.  The drama teacher has her own budget, and the music teachers have their own budgets.  Whether I purchase something or not depends on if it's "show specific".  For instance, if we need lamps or mic batteries, everyone (school, district and outside events) uses those, so I purchase them.  If the drama  teacher wants to rent a fog machine for her show, she pays for that from her budget.  If I want to purchase some R02 gels for area lights, that's out of my budget because it's a part of the rep plot.  If the drama teacher must have R39 for a scene in her play, then that's show specific and she must purchase it.  For my part I have an open PO at PNTA (pnta.com), our local theatrical supplier (they ship nationwide), each year.  That way I can just instantly purchase things that I need and I don't have to go through all the red tape every single time I need a roll of spike tape, etc.  An open PO works really well, because the "Muggles" sometimes don't understand why you need to purchase what you need to purchase, and that way you don't have to go to great lengths to help them understand your craft.  

Beth Rand
    Author of: "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot" and "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 10.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-15-2016 13:25

Not specifically endorsing (although we've had to register in order to obtain payment and it has been easy & seamless), but perhaps something to explore:

http://unimarket.com/

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 11.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-21-2016 03:12

I hve had a few different versions. My first school I had access to the schools Home Depot card through the maintenance department. Everything else was purchased through the billing office or po. 

My second school a large boarding school I was given a line of credit ona credit card through the school.and had to keep track of my purchases and submit a statement each month with receipts. The school had an online program for that which helped. This was my favorite option.

my current school amixed boarding and day school is a similar to the first one. I have a Home Depot card through the school that is tied to the mantanance department but I carry one myself, but everything else is reimbursement or po. For tech theater not everything grab be bought at Home Depot so I am working on trying to get them to understand that a line of credit with the same rules on logging would be so much better. Reimbursement sucks when it's in the hundreds of dollars and it takes 3 weeks to get it. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 12.  RE: purchasing

Posted 12-31-2016 23:24

I've taught in 5 schools in 3 states, and the procedures have been different in each one.  (I distinctly remember shutting the door of the bookkeeper's office once and saying that I was not leaving until we had come to some sort of solution that would allow both of us to do our jobs without me haven't to shop twice for each item.  We each raised our voices, then we figured something out.) 

At the school where I've taught for 16 years, the bookkeeper and I finally arrived at something we call a "blanket PO" for purchases that are not from the publishing companies and major vendors who accept purchase order numbers and then invoice.  I fill out a purchase order that simply says "CJ Breland from various vendors" and lists the items as "items necessary for production and classroom."

I keep receipts, then turn in batches of them with an excel spreadsheet that has columns for date, vendor, items, price, and purpose (which is either class or the name of a show.)  I am supposed to turn them in within 30 days of purchase.

Tax on the purchases is not an issue, because North Carolina does not exempt schools from sales tax.  In fact, our bookkeeper has to send the state sales tax on items I buy online and don't have to pay sales tax on.  Yep, you read that right.  In Tennessee and Florida, the bookkeeper gave me a card with the tax exempt number on it to show merchants. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC