Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-17-2019 15:28
    Just starting to consider taking a show to Fring Fest. Anyone have any experience with this?

• 2.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-18-2019 09:29
    I took a group there with the American High School Theatre Festival a couple of years ago. It was a great experience. My kids got a lot out of it and Edinburgh and the Fringe are amazing. I will say that it's pretty expensive and required a lot of work getting the kids to rehearse during the summer but in the end it was totally worth it. The AHSTF staff is awesome and the accommodations are very good. On the whole I would recommend it highly.

------------------------------
    Ray Karns
    Theatre Teacher
    Wakefield School
    The Plains VA

• 3.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-18-2019 10:40
    I must second Ray's response.

I have travelled with students to Edinburgh with AHSTF twice, and am starting to gear up to go again in 2021. It is definitely a lot of work, but I think it is 100% worth it.

Seth Cohen
    Redondo Beach CA

• 4.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 08:33
    I have taken my students to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 3 times so far and am preparing for a fourth trip this summer. We have always traveled with AHSTF (The American High School Theatre Festival). The trips have been, hands down, the most wonderful Ed. Theatre Experiences I have been able to share with my students. There is a selection process for traveling with AHSTF, but the process in itself is a validation of your program and the work you do with your students. The AHSTF trips, have also been the best organized trips and the most worry free for me as a teacher traveling with students. It is an expensive endeavor to travel with AHSTF, but the service, organization, technical theatre back up, and safely and security plan for your group could not be better.The experience is wonderful for your tech students as well as your performers and your students will get to meet and bond with students from all over the Americas and performers from all over the world.  For the students, the experience of rehearsing and designing a show for a venue you travel to by plane and bus and where you will have exactly two hours, to load in, perform your play and load out is unique. That they do this all independently makes it something they can be very proud of. With AHSTF, the cast and crew have a two hour tech with trained staff to support them prior to their first show (they perform their show four times). The next time they come to the theatre to perform, the show is theirs. AHSTF representatives are truly just a phone call away from the time you commit to the trip and begin planning. You will get to know them on a first name basis beginning with your familiarization trip the summer before that is a part of your package. My students who have been on the trip, have found the experience to be life changing for them in the most positive ways. I would be happy to be in touch personally if you have more specific questions. 

Applying,Raising funds, preparing your show, and traveling by air with students is a lot of work but it is all well worth it.

Sincerely,

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 5.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 09:20
    This is an amazing idea! I'd never have thought of it. What are some of the shows people have taken to the Fringe? And how many kids and other adults go with you?

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 6.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 11:06
    Arden

We have taken Don Zolidis' The Seussodyssey with 21 kids and 2 other adults
    and Evan Placey's Girls Like That with 16 kids and 1 other adult.

Two VERY different types of shows. I work with the students who are going on the trip to pick the type of show and give them a fair amount of input on the final decision (which is different to how I pick our regular shows for our school season).

Seth Cohen
    Redondo Beach CA

• 7.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 11:24
    We took a play called Play On! by Rick Abbot. Just remember that you have only two hours for your performance and that include load-in and load-out time. They will explain all this but you have to have to get rights for the UK and not the US. Often different publishers.

Ray Karns
    Theatre Teacher
    Wakefield School
    The Plains VA

• 8.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 12:38
    We have taken Orson Welles', MOBY DICK REHEARSED (2005), Elizabeth Swados', ALICE IN CONCERT (2014). In 2017, we took a wonderful R&H Theatre for Young Audiences Musical called RAPUNZEL, RAPUNZEL A VERY HAIRY FAIRY TALE.'  It was so much fun doing Children's Theatre at the Fringe that this year we will be taking another Children's musical, THE THREE LITTLE WOLVES AND THE BIG BAD PIG. (TRW) Each time we have travelled we have learned to cut down on the set and props needed. One year we rented a keyboard for our on-stage student accompanist and we will do the same this year. I like that AHSTF organizes all of the rentals for you and helps with publicity and print materials. 

Another perk to traveling to perform at the Fringe is that it runs concurrently with the Edinburgh Festival. The tickets to see the highest quality performances (sometimes world premiers) are unbelievably reasonable, especially for students. There is no other opportunity like it. 

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 9.  RE: Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted 11-19-2019 11:53
    I've taken students to the Edinburgh Fringe four times: a WONDERFUL experience each time.  The first two were with AHSTF, the last two were arranged by one of my drama mamas who, as a professional project manager, found this a "fun" project (I took responsibility for the show and the kids; she took care of the logistics and the money). Our approach varied from "Any theatre kid can go; we'll raise the money somehow (and we did, but every breathing moment was in mercenary mode)" to "Any theatre kid who can pay can go. Want it cheaper? Have your parent(s) run a fund-raiser (approved by the school)".
    We performed "Working" (and "Playing," an improv show to which we invited other troupe to compete); "Bang Bang You're Dead," "The Nina Variations (w 4 Treplevs and 12 Ninas) and "Funny as a Crutch."
    There is some risk from the bonding among the participants creating a sort of elite attitude upon return that rubs the others the wrong way.
    AHSTF kids meet and support each other...do you really need to go to Scotland if so much time is spent with other Americans? Just do the ITS summer conference. On the other hand, one year our bus broke down en route to the plane home, and they pretty effortlessly got us another bus to complete the trip.
    Oh, so many stories...

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview