Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interactive Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-09-2017 15:22
    Hi
    I'm hoping for suggestions. For our spring play, I would like to do an interactive dinner theatre in the style of Tony N Tina's Wedding. My school is almost entirely African American. I've tried to contact Keegan Michael Key to see about Big Momma's Wedding but have hit a brick wall. I have partnered with a local soul food restaurant who will cater. 

Has anyone done anything like this before? Advice? Things to know? Good scripts? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Dr. Doug Erwin
    Ferguson, MO

• 2.  RE: Interactive Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-13-2017 14:58
    Hi Douglas! This might not specifically answer your question, but hopefully you'll find a lead in a past thread. I'd start here:

Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Interactive Dinner Theatre

Posted 07-05-2017 11:53
    In addition to the threads @Ginny Butsch posted, which are an excellent start, I'll throw in a secondary recommendation for Mysteries by Moushey: great scripts for dinner theatre and high school appropriate, but what is utterly helpful and mind-glowingly practical is the inclusion of a production manual that details practically everything you need to make a successful night of it: the interactive part, the meal part, suggestions on how to do pretty much everything. I was so grateful for the resources that were provided with our scripts, they really helped us mount a successful dinner theatre, something that our audiences absolutely adored. 

I would recommend 'Trouble at the Talent Show', you could easily work your different demographics within the framework, as it deals with general school stereotypes...which could still work (jocks/cheerleaders/nerds/etc). Some simple songs which my totally untrained and non-singing performers were able to pull off very well (mainly because of the humor)

Have fun!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON