Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-26-2017 20:23
    Anyone ever found a Huck Finn script that's suitable for young audiences? It's such a good story but I'm finding a lot of violence and tough visuals like Huck relieving himself while facing upstage.

Vicky Ryden
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, GA

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-27-2017 07:51
    I haven't read it, but this is one of my go-to companies for age-appropriate plays that are well written:

http://playsforyoungaudiences.org/scripts/huck-finn/

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 3.  RE: Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-27-2017 09:24

If you have time, why don't you and your students adapt the novel to a play.  That way you know what content you are looking for and your students get an opportunity to do script writing.  You could break it down into chapters and have a couple of students work on each chapter then rein it in and the whole group does final editing.  If you like the script, produce it.  I've done student adaptations and originals and the kids really learn a lot about the whole process.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 4.  RE: Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-28-2017 09:12

• 5.  RE: Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-27-2017 09:36
    "Big River" is the musical adaptation of this play.  There is also a G rated Disney film version that starred Archie Moore as Jim.  Maybe there is a script of that film out there somewhere.  One thing with the Huck Finn story is you know that slavery and the N-word are going to be present.

Christian Garretson
    Towson MD

• 6.  RE: Huck Finn Script

Posted 11-28-2017 10:38
    If you don't mind doing a musical, Big River, which won multiple Tony Awards, is fantastic (I directed it in my past life as head of the drama program at The Haverford School, and it was one of our most successful shows). Very appropriate for young audiences and easy to stage (we did it with a small band--I believe maybe four pieces)--with the only caveat being that you need to make sure you have somebody who can sing Jim.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA