Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Is Thespy Playwriting (Playworks) a non-qualifying event?

Posted 03-16-2021 12:00
    I have a few students planning to attend ITF who may be interested in submitting a play for Thespy Playwriting (formerly Playworks) but I'm not sure about the rules. Two of them qualify in that their plays scored Superiors at the State level in our state; however, both of those plays are longer than 10 minutes. Then I have other students interested in submitting their own 10 minutes plays too. Here are my questions and thank you in advance for any guidance/advice. I cannot seem to find detailed info on this anywhere.

1. Do students have to pre-qualify at all to submit a play for Thespy Playwriting or can ANY student planning to attend ITF submit a play to be considered?

2. If students do have to qualify via their State Chapter event do they have to submit the SAME play even though it might not be a 10 minute show or can they submit a cutting or another piece they have written?

------------------------------
    Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director & Theatre Teacher
    J.R. Arnold High School
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Is Thespy Playwriting (Playworks) a non-qualifying event?

Posted 03-18-2021 14:12
    Hello, Kathleen!

Since this is the first year for the playwriting category, there is no pre-qualifying event required. They can apply now through April 1. Any student planning to attend ITF can submit a play to be considered. It does not have to be the same piece they submitted for a chapter level playwriting program, but it does need to fit into the 10-minute play requirements for the Thespys program.

Here is the link where students can read the requirements and submit plays for the Playwriting category of the Thespys program:
    https://thespys.secure-platform.com/a/page/playwriting/

Just let me know if you have any other questions!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association